Laptop Internal Overheating/Damage?

Gizmotist

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
I am getting the MSI GS70 Stealth-037 for college use and I do not plan on bring my very crappy desktop with me. Along with a Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim helping cool it. I plan on doing some renders using Autodesk Inventor and Autodesk 3ds Max, along with some video editing.

How much will this affect the life span, solder points in this laptop, and battery life?

I hear people saying, "Oh don't get a laptop for that kind of stuff, it will damage the laptop"

Solution
temp wise, its made to throttle before temps get high enough to actually cause damage. Long term, sustained high temps and throttling will bring down component lifespan yes, but will you notice before you'd upgrade your laptop, probably not. No one can no for sure, but theoretically laptops were made with this in mind, especially the stealths.

Battery life, well while rendeirng or anything very demanding, you'll get very minimal, so make sure you bring your charger with you. Long term battery, well the more you use it, drain it, charge it, keep it plugged in, the lower the life. Typically they used ot be about 2 year lifespan. Since then batteries have gotten better, but no one knows for certain. You should expect at least 2 years...

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
temp wise, its made to throttle before temps get high enough to actually cause damage. Long term, sustained high temps and throttling will bring down component lifespan yes, but will you notice before you'd upgrade your laptop, probably not. No one can no for sure, but theoretically laptops were made with this in mind, especially the stealths.

Battery life, well while rendeirng or anything very demanding, you'll get very minimal, so make sure you bring your charger with you. Long term battery, well the more you use it, drain it, charge it, keep it plugged in, the lower the life. Typically they used ot be about 2 year lifespan. Since then batteries have gotten better, but no one knows for certain. You should expect at least 2 years from a single battery, if not way more. Your battery life will slowly get smaller and smaller after that time. But ive had an asus for 2 years i used all the time, and then 2 more years after that used seldmoly, if i run hw info which tries to get a an average battery life %, by taking maximum new charge value, then takes what maximum value you can charge now, and gets you a %. My 4 year old laptops sitting at 93% battery life remaining. Thats pretty darn good. All batteries are not made equal, and usage also comes into play. But you can almost always buy replacements and they normally run anywhere form $30 to $150.

Solution
The GS70 gets fairly warm but it's a good system. If you purchase it, opt for cooling upgrades where available (such as better thermal compound). Heat is the biggest killer here (as is the case with most high-end laptops). Solder joints should be fine as long as the system is not frequently overheating. And the battery: when using dedicated graphics, battery life will not be good. It has improved with new hardware, but I believe the GS70 is still using a Kepler chip, so don't expect it to last very long on a per cycle basis.