Solved! Laptop internet connection problems

Apr 28, 2019
I have an old windows 7 gateway laptop that all of a sudden stopped connecting to my home internet since yesterday. The network has been setup for almost a year now. It won’t connect via WiFi or even if I plug an Ethernet cable directly into the laptop. It says it’s connected but when I try to load a page - it says DNS server not responsive. I have deleted all the connections in manage network setting and tried to reconnect by re entering the password but no luck

I have 2 other computers that connect fine to the network.

Solution
Depends on the device, but often they can be on the same card within the laptop, so while both don't always go out at the same time, when both aren't working, it is time to replace.

Often you can have the WiFi go, while the ethernet will still work, this allows for not having to replace the internal card and just get a cheap connects via USB WiFi. But in your case, it would be better to replace the internal.
Have you tried connecting to any other network to see if it works there? If it does, then there is an issue connecting only to yours and it could be a setting that was changed in the modem/routers settings. Or even something changed by your ISP. Say something from that particular computer was being done that the ISP had a problem with (not saying it was, just giving as an idea).

Now if it won't connect to any network you try, not just yours, then you need to try first updating the drivers for the laptop and reboot it (power totally off and then turn back on). Then, should that not resolve it, you may well need to either replace the internal WiFi/Ethernet card, or get an external one that connects via USB.

Apr 28, 2019
Have you tried connecting to any other network to see if it works there? If it does, then there is an issue connecting only to yours and it could be a setting that was changed in the modem/routers settings. Or even something changed by your ISP. Say something from that particular computer was being done that the ISP had a problem with (not saying it was, just giving as an idea).

Now if it won't connect to any network you try, not just yours, then you need to try first updating the drivers for the laptop and reboot it (power totally off and then turn back on). Then, should that not resolve it, you may well need to either replace the internal WiFi/Ethernet card, or get an external one that connects via USB.
It will not connect to any network. I formatted the entire computer as someone had suggested malware but it still won’t work. Everything else works fine so I suspect I should get a new WiFi/ethernet card. If the card is bad, would that explain why it won’t connect even when plugging an Ethernet cable directly?

Depends on the device, but often they can be on the same card within the laptop, so while both don't always go out at the same time, when both aren't working, it is time to replace.

Often you can have the WiFi go, while the ethernet will still work, this allows for not having to replace the internal card and just get a cheap connects via USB WiFi. But in your case, it would be better to replace the internal.

Solution