Solved! Laptop is beeping and shutting itself down

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2020
My laptop boots up fine and stuff but whenever I start up any video game it starts beeping like a smoke alarm until it shuts itself down

Solution
No warranty and I've got a budget of roughly $150 so be honest with me, is it possible to get the right GPU for $150?

I'll go with maybe. If you troll eBay long enough you may find one from someone parting out a system. But thats a major IF.

If you have a local shop you use maybe they have something laying around from a failed system. Unfortunately Laptop GPUs aren't something you normally buy in the store and aren't available aftermarket, so you're limited to leftovers from broken systems. Or manufacturer direct replacements which are always pricey.

The good news for you is the laptop will still work fine (though clearly you have some other issues on there as something is slowing your CPU down), but you just can't game...
May 11, 2020
All I know about the specs is its got a 1050 ti graphics card and an Intel core i7 processor, it's roughly 2 yrs old and as for dust it should have none anywhere as I had it professionally cleaned yesterday to try and fix the problem

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
All I know about the specs is its got a 1050 ti graphics card and an Intel core i7 processor, it's roughly 2 yrs old and as for dust it should have none anywhere as I had it professionally cleaned yesterday to try and fix the problem

If its been cleaned out and still crashing upon launching any game you may have a GPU failure of some sort. There is not much you can do for that. I'd like to see what happens when something lower end is run on your GPU, can you download userbenchmark www.userbenchmark.com and run it and see if it crashes?

May 11, 2020
I ran user benchmark, didn't crash (i assume because it's more of a program than an actual like full-on game), but I did figure out something interesting, my processor, boot drive, memory and OS version are all in the green but for graphics its red and says "3.69% is too low to play 3D games or use CAD packages. (Note: general computing tasks don't require 3D graphics) " so could this be a sign that the problem is with my graphics card? Could it be because I need to update the drivers? Or would you recommend just straight up getting a new graphics card, if I were to get a new graphics card would it affect any of my data or personal files or things that I have installed? Regards, James

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
I ran user benchmark, didn't crash (i assume because it's more of a program than an actual like full-on game), but I did figure out something interesting, my processor, boot drive, memory and OS version are all in the green but for graphics its red and says "3.69% is too low to play 3D games or use CAD packages. (Note: general computing tasks don't require 3D graphics) " so could this be a sign that the problem is with my graphics card? Could it be because I need to update the drivers? Or would you recommend just straight up getting a new graphics card, if I were to get a new graphics card would it affect any of my data or personal files or things that I have installed? Regards, James

Can you give me the link to your Userbenchmark score? It should have popped up with a link

A 1050ti is plenty to play 3D games so I am thinking that it did not activate when you were doing the test and userbenchmark tried to use your onboard graphics as part of your processor which yes would be too weak. OR your 1050ti is failing and thats what caused such a low score. Please provide me the link to your results so I can look them over.

Also yes if you can update to the latest Nvidia Graphics driver and try it again that may help.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

Yes its as I suspected your 1050ti GPU did not activate. Please try to install the latest Nvidia Drivers This is the latest one
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/159424/

Install that and try Userbenchmark again. Also try a game and tell me what happens.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/27925013
As for games it still beeps then shuts itself down

Yeah its still not activating.

I would say its very likely your GPU failed. In many cases these are replaceable, but its not something you can just go to the computer store and buy.

First thing before you do anything is make a backup of your personal files JUST IN CASE.

Now here is your main problem, replacements are hard to come by, and expensive:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvdia-Gtx-...026039?hash=item216e465db7:g:cAsAAOSwJPRemxWG

Is your laptop still under warranty? You may want to contact the manufacturer.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
No warranty and I've got a budget of roughly $150 so be honest with me, is it possible to get the right GPU for $150?

I'll go with maybe. If you troll eBay long enough you may find one from someone parting out a system. But thats a major IF.

If you have a local shop you use maybe they have something laying around from a failed system. Unfortunately Laptop GPUs aren't something you normally buy in the store and aren't available aftermarket, so you're limited to leftovers from broken systems. Or manufacturer direct replacements which are always pricey.

The good news for you is the laptop will still work fine (though clearly you have some other issues on there as something is slowing your CPU down), but you just can't game on it.

I would take a look at your system processes to see whats using a lot of CPU and try and clear that process or reinstall whatever piece of software that is, just to have a better functioning system for normal use.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.