Laptop is slow, with battery charging issues, 100%CPU usage

Andrew Chan

Estimable
Jul 31, 2015
I stopped using my laptop (HP EliteBook 840 G1) for about a month and a half. I believe it was left to hibernate/sleep without being fully shutdown

PROBLEMS that were encountered when I started using the laptop again (occurred all at once)
1. laptop was slow to the point where it can not be used

2. the computer would not fully charge, it was always stuck at around 10-25% and I have tried plugging it in to different sockets and letting it charge when computer is shut off

3. there was a constant 100% cpu usage in the processes section of task manager

4. had some issues connecting to internet browsers even though it had wifi access and hence could log into programs like skype/steam

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS:
1. I tried starting the laptop with just default settings by typing msconfig into search and then clicking on "use original boot configuration"...at the start the cpu wasnt at 100% and I thought I can now go 1 by 1 and figure out which startup program was causing the problem....but then the CPU/slowness started occurring again.

2. used system restore to restore computer a few months back....at first it seemed to fix problem but then problem came back

3. I tried scanning computer with antivirus malwarebytes and the results didnt fix problem...will scan with avira in future...note, I dont think I had an antivirus on this computer prior to these issues

note, safemode w/ internet doesnt have a 100% cpu usage though i've only tried it once

I need help determining what I should try next....what the problem might be...what problems it cant be
Can all this be caused by a bad battery? Are they related or separate problems?

Any help would be much appreciated

velo3100

Splendid
First try to get the laptop to charge as this is the most important thing. First check with different chargers if that makes any difference. If it doesn't then the charging port maybe damaged or the battery could be dead.

After you have done that, try running anti malwarebytes to check for viruses. If none are found then try uninstalling as many unnecessary programs as you can. Also get rid of any data that you don't need.

Third check that the hdd doesn't have any bad sectors. Hdd slow down as time goes on and this slows down the laptop.

velo3100

Splendid
First try to get the laptop to charge as this is the most important thing. First check with different chargers if that makes any difference. If it doesn't then the charging port maybe damaged or the battery could be dead.

After you have done that, try running anti malwarebytes to check for viruses. If none are found then try uninstalling as many unnecessary programs as you can. Also get rid of any data that you don't need.

Third check that the hdd doesn't have any bad sectors. Hdd slow down as time goes on and this slows down the laptop.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 1
superpeas Laptop Tech Support 2
nerdyotter Laptop Tech Support 0
dietherdeyv Laptop Tech Support 0
Pasiya98 Laptop Tech Support 3
B Laptop Tech Support 1
Pandofla Laptop Tech Support 3
M Laptop Tech Support 0
ChizDawg211 Laptop Tech Support 1
zulfanmr Laptop Tech Support 5
xcodyaxton Laptop Tech Support 1