Laptop key repair difficulty

Nov 3, 2018
If anyone could help me with this, I would be very grateful.

The shift key on my Asus K501UX Laptop started to stop working, so I took the key off to clean underneath (which fixed the issue). I'm now having a real problem reattaching the key to the keyboard (I tried to do this with other keys which have worked fine). I've searched online for help and for instruction videos but so far these haven't been particularly helpful.

one issue seems to be that the key retainer clip is still attached to the key itself. When putting it back down on the laptop, it just won't clip into place (whether I include the metal element or not). Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

(I have tried to add the images of the problem here as I wasn't able to upload a photo to this site).

https://ibb.co/eHVFk0

https://ibb.co/ghbXXf

Thanks.

Looks like you broke off the clip that should be attached to the laptop side that the key attaches to. I don't know that particular model keyboard but I have never seen a keyboard where the keyboard side was just the flat aluminum.

As you can see in this pic, the left is what is should look like, the one on the right is what you have now.

017.jpg

Check online for some keyboard fix instructions, you will need to remove the plastic clips from the key and attach them to the keyboard again.

Yes there was an image, it is showing up for me normally, from a site called laptopkey.com

Nov 3, 2018
Ah ok (still can't see the image but will take a look on that site). My only thought in reply was that when I take up other keys they look the same i.e. plastic attached to the key itself and then they click back on fine so I am not sure whether that is how this keyboard works (I agree it seems odd).

The picture does not show up for me also now, but it did show up when I first posted. Maybe it's a filter or the site blocked the sharing this way of their image. Really the only thing that would stop this key working in the same way as the other was some clip was snapped off.

Nov 3, 2018
Thanks for your responses - perhaps I should try and buy a replacement key from the manufacturer (would certainly still be cheaper than taking it somewhere to get it fixed)