Laptop keyboard malfinctioning

gabor.richard.papp

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
My laptop keyboard (Asus ROG G750JH) is not working properly. When I press a key, most of them don't do anything, some of them send the wrong characters, some a few lines, eg: 65s073, but there are some that open a webpage (for some reason several buttons work as CapsLock). Updating drivers does not help, I don't know if it is a windows error. I wanted to try booting a linux from a pendrive, but I can not open the bios because the external keypad will receive power as windows starts.

Solution
Most keyboards that are part of a laptop have a touchpad as well. Sometimes the problem isn't with the keyboard drivers but the touchpad one. I know it really shouldn't effect it, however sometimes it does. It is an odd one. :)

If the external keyboard is working fine, then the next step would be to replace the attached keyboard (unless you want to keep using the external one).

I really don't think changing the OS would be the answer. However, it is totally up to you. :)
You don't want to update the drivers, but to uninstall and reinstall. Try the following...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, and if an external keyboard does (not a wireless, one but a USB connected one) you then may need to replace the attached keyboard.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

gabor.richard.papp

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

I saw this answer of yours under an other post, I tried this already, didn't work. An external keyboard does work, this is what I've been using for a while now. By the way I don't really understand what you mean "Synaptics Driver", if I search on that, all I find are drivers for touchpads. Could you help me out with a link or something?

Most keyboards that are part of a laptop have a touchpad as well. Sometimes the problem isn't with the keyboard drivers but the touchpad one. I know it really shouldn't effect it, however sometimes it does. It is an odd one. :)

If the external keyboard is working fine, then the next step would be to replace the attached keyboard (unless you want to keep using the external one).

I really don't think changing the OS would be the answer. However, it is totally up to you. :)

Solution

gabor.richard.papp

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
Thank you I'll try to update the touchpad driver. When I was searching for solutions, I read that if the problem is still in there in Linux, then it might be a system related problem rather that a driver.