Laptop LCD display will only work if external monitor attached thru HDMI.

MacInFL

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
This is bizarre. Just started. The display on the laptop quit working until I attached an external monitor. Looking at the graphic options, it says there is only one display present and lists the external monitor (which is not illuminated). If I detach the external monitor, the laptop display goes black but comes back on when I connect the external monitor.

I've tried toggling the function key / Fn but only the laptop display is present (if the external monitor is attached).

It is an Asus Q5101 (I think) with a 1920x1080 IPS display using the Intel HD Graphics running Win10.

I tried reloading the driver and no improvement. BTW, I tried to DL and install the latest Intel driver (from the Intel website) and Win10 blocked it saying it had an invalid signature!

Any suggestions???

Solution
Hello... Touch screens and drivers for them have been around since the 90's and DOS 5.0 operation... you Don't need WIN10 to have touch screen use... but you DO need a driver for the OS... so don't count this out yet... check the makers website for them... OR if WIN7 has a built in driver for it.

I would Suggest getting WIN7x64 PRO in an RETAIL license for "FREEdom of use" "Total ownership" and NO restrictions. OEM has rules... and We don't like rules. B )

Any Windows7 install media gives you 30-day to TRY before Buy... Borrow/DL a Win7 install ISO or media, and you have 30days to test/locate drivers/trouble shoot/operate your LAPTOP with this.

MacInFL

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
Ironsides,
Thanks for responding and apologize for voting down your response. First time on the forum and trying to figure out how to respond directly to your post and accidently voted you down..

I understand your suggestion but that doesn't work. The problem is Win10 only shows one display available which is the external monitor even though the laptop lcd is the only active display. The laptop display is not shown within the available options within Win10...only the external monitor.

The laptop lcd display will not work unless it is connected (via HDMI) to the external monitor. As I write this message, it is on the laptop lcd display, the external monitor is plugged in but blank. If I try to toggle to multiple displays, it only shows the single external monitor available. If I unplug the external monitor, the laptop display goes blank (I can see that it is still on because it is barely illuminated but there is no text/graphics, only a deep dark blue blank screen). The laptop display will resume operation if I reconnect the external monitor (which is still blank).

To beat this into the ground, according to Windows, there is only one display available...the external monitor.even though the laptop display is operating.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... I'm used to Down votes, and (written) insults... LOL no worries... I'm a just volunteer and just trying to help people... And put my PC experiences out there for other to examine and respond too... and I'm an insomniac time to time. B )

1) Typically the ability to display multi-screens will take system memory allocated to the GPU... just like a Desktop GPU would need... Try increasing it in your BIO's? save&exit.
2) This could be Power limiting feature in the BIO's, Windows Power Settings, OR by design by the Maker of the Laptop, OR the GPU chip used.
3) Check the manual/PDF, or online FAQ's of this unit or Just give them call.

MacInFL

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
The latest. Spent about 30-45 mins on phone with Asus support. The outcome was their suggestion that I send the laptop in for repair. Give the laptop is about two years old, don't believe that is a $mart solution.

More detail. The display problems appear to occur when Win 10 is loaded. It will go thru the initial boot / bios load just fine (laptop display works properly). It is when it starts to load Win 10 that the display goes blank and then requires an external monitor to be attached. Even then, it does not usually display on the external monitor (which you would expect) but keeps the desktop on the laptop display. If you look at the display properties, it will only show the external monitor as being attached. It does not recognize the laptop display as being present even though that is where the desktop is being displayed (the external monitor is still blank).

Out of curiousity, I uninstalled the Intel HD Graphics driver, letting it default to the Windows "basic" display driver. Voila...it appears to work perfectly. I can turn off the laptop, disconnect the external monitor and reboot...it comes up fine. BUT, Win10 or internal Asus utilities will eventually try to reload the Intel HD graphics automactically and then the laptop display goes blank and must then reattach the external monitor.

From that, it would seem that either the display driver is corrupted or Win 10 is corrupted or there may be firmware built into the laptop that handles the communication between Win10 and the drivers....i don't know.

I tried downloading the latest Intel driver and it only seemed to make matter worse. I'm thinking now my only last option is back up all personal files and try to do a Win10 fresh install (after I wipe the hard drive). I don't have a Win10 system "disk". Is it possible to download to USB drive and then reload the system. I beleive there is a partition within the hard drive for Windows...should I try to use that?

Not sure how I would go about getting all the device drivers for the laptop....guess I can call Asus for that.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... WOW good testing and analysis B )... 4) What was the Orig OS ?

OK you have found what I have learned about OS's, drivers and hardware. "Only certain combinations work" I'm using a 3 year old NVidia driver... why? cause it works " if it ain't broken... don't try to fix it." B )

Typically the machine, Chips used, and Hardware was created/designed/and TESTED under the Specs the product will be marketed as... and if you use the SAME OS, hardware, and SAME drivers that came with that machine... it will work as advertised.

IF You are trying to "deviate" from the Specs... to the Company, your 2 year old machine is a 3-4 year completed Engineering project... There is no more $$$ or time available for it... they are off building the next Great? thing. No one there is worried about your free WIN10 drivers or hardware, NO one IS working on it... or taking responsibility if the latest intel driver doesn't work... the next programmer could have deleted that Line of Code. LOL... They just want you too BUY a new one if your having problems.

You have found a operational problem... but was the problem caused by the owner? changing the OS and drivers from the factory fresh ones? Get the machine working as shipped and Will that be Good enough for your Use?

5) Yes... ASUS will have ALL Orig drivers available... either online or they can send you a CD... I suggest you copy them and keep them in a safe place.... up to 5 years I think is the US law for consumer protection for replacement parts?

MacInFL

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
Hello... WOW good testing and analysis B )... 4) What was the Orig OS ?

Original OS delivered was Win 8.1. I upgraded to Win 10 last summer when I got tired of saying no to MS.

OK you have found what I have learned about OS's, drivers and hardware. "Only certain combinations work" I'm using a 3 year old NVidia driver... why? cause it works " if it ain't broken... don't try to fix it." B )

In reality, we've pretty much lost control of the platforms starting with Win7. Suppose it started with the Apple IOS mindset and its proponents. There is so much going on under the hood with auto updates that it is inevitable there will be incompatibilities. The hope is that between MS and major HW manufactureres it is sorted out in a timely manner.

Typically the machine, Chips used, and Hardware was created/designed/and TESTED under the Specs the product will be marketed as... and if you use the SAME OS, hardware, and SAME drivers that came with that machine... it will work as advertised.

IF You are trying to "deviate" from the Specs... to the Company, your 2 year old machine is a 3-4 year completed Engineering project... There is no more $$$ or time available for it... they are off building the next Great? thing. No one there is worried about your free WIN10 drivers or hardware, NO one IS working on it... or taking responsibility if the latest intel driver doesn't work... the next programmer could have deleted that Line of Code. LOL... They just want you too BUY a new one if your having problems.

Why I'm reluctant to put any big $$ into any repair. The Asus CSR rep was professional and tried to be helpful but took the attitude that it is a HW problem that needs repair (there is an annoying flickering if the display lid isn't in a good postion, indicative of either wear in the wiring harness connecting from the laptop body to the lid or perhaps the switch embedded in the hinge). Everything that I see is this is strictly a SW, drivers, OS incompatibility issue. I was hoping someone would know about it and say...find this registry key and change to this....that's what it seems like to me. That is probably too simplistic. The level of integration between hardware/firmware/software in laptops/tablet is the enabling technology but also it's Achilles Heel. It all has to work together.

You have found a operational problem... but was the problem caused by the owner? changing the OS and drivers from the factory fresh ones? Get the machine working as shipped and Will that be Good enough for your Use?

5) Yes... ASUS will have ALL Orig drivers available... either online or they can send you a CD... I suggest you copy them and keep them in a safe place.... up to 5 years I think is the US law for consumer protection for replacement parts?

I'm wondering if the real solution is to get a copy of Win 7 and give that a go.... I have a 5 year old Gateway laptop running Win 7 Home that is still solid, though slow and beatup. Win 8 was a disaster and Win 10 is quickly becoming just another MS patchwork of fixes. Of course, that assumes that I can get drivers that are backward compatible to Win 7.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... I Find WIN 7 x64 to be very solid and dependable for my uses and hardware... and I leave it that way. B )

The problem that comes with "Low cost mass produced" is that they start using hardware chips from companies (china) that Don't exist any more and have no continued support... Typically finding a working LAN and Sound Chip drivers were always the problems, working on the "walmart-sam's club" computers.

Then Microsoft does this OEM, Retail, free upgrades versions and such... and this makes your situation here even more complicated, because You might be crossing some "Rule or Law" Because? You gave somebody $$$ and all you got was a sticker?

I always bought "RETAIL" so I can have " FREEdom OF use"... This could change for future versions? and I could move on to open source at that point.

I use WIN7 x64 without Updates... and just add drivers to test people hardware/software/version problems... it is a pretty Rock solid TOOL for me... I suspect your WIN7 lappy is an OEM license too?

MacInFL

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
I use WIN7 x64 without Updates... and just add drivers to test people hardware/software/version problems... it is a pretty Rock solid TOOL for me... I suspect your WIN7 lappy is an OEM license too?

I don't have a Win 7 license but should be able to pick up a copy for little $$, I think. The only negative (assuming it will work) is the touch screen on the laptop will not be supported....not a big deal, never use the feature.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Touch screens and drivers for them have been around since the 90's and DOS 5.0 operation... you Don't need WIN10 to have touch screen use... but you DO need a driver for the OS... so don't count this out yet... check the makers website for them... OR if WIN7 has a built in driver for it.

I would Suggest getting WIN7x64 PRO in an RETAIL license for "FREEdom of use" "Total ownership" and NO restrictions. OEM has rules... and We don't like rules. B )

Any Windows7 install media gives you 30-day to TRY before Buy... Borrow/DL a Win7 install ISO or media, and you have 30days to test/locate drivers/trouble shoot/operate your LAPTOP with this.

Solution