Laptop life cycle

starnix33

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
The ancient question: should I buy laptop now or should I wait for new possible laptop GPUs in the near future. Currently, eying Inspirion 15 for 1300 euros. What are the chances of it being dethroned by other cost efficient product in a near future?

Solution

If you need a computer today, then by all means buy one. If you're fine with your current machine, or are willing to wait, then do that - it's not that different from any other purchase situation, e.g. cars or smartphones: There's always going to be a newer model or version waiting to 'dethrone' your current computer, car or smartphone.

GPUs are only part of this equation - remember when Skylake was all the rage? Now, there's a newer generation on our doorsteps, Coffee Lake, and...
The current generation of nVidia GPUs is Pascal; the GTX 10xx series.

The next generation fo nVidia GPU is Volta; the GTX 20xx series supposedly according to one IT article I read. There are working samples of Volta GPUs however, nVidia has stated that using current manufacturing processes it cost about $1,000 USD to manufacture each Volta GPU chip. There is no exact date for the release of the Volta GPU other than speculations that it will be released in the 1st half of 2018.

If you need a computer today, then by all means buy one. If you're fine with your current machine, or are willing to wait, then do that - it's not that different from any other purchase situation, e.g. cars or smartphones: There's always going to be a newer model or version waiting to 'dethrone' your current computer, car or smartphone.

GPUs are only part of this equation - remember when Skylake was all the rage? Now, there's a newer generation on our doorsteps, Coffee Lake, and Kaby Lake has barely even settled down in the sofa!

Unless you're a professional who has to react quickly to market trends (e.g. a graphics designer or pro-gamer), I'd say get a laptop that matches your current life, and accept the 'buyer's regret' that comes with any purchase.

Solution