Laptop Motherboard Damage by techie...Maybe?? Advice Please

Oct 31, 2018
Hi guys

We got our IT guys that we pay a monthly support contract to to come out to us and install a new hard drive in my laptop as I had run out of space. Unfortunately Id bought a 15mm one and it needed to be 7mm so he put the old one back in.

It was working fine the night before when I used it. When I got it back it didnt work. To cut a long story short it appears the motherboard is not registering the hard drive.

He says that it wasnt due to the work he done and just a coincidence. Im unsure. I dont want to be a dick if he didnt do anything but feel it's too much of a conincidence that Ive never had any problems and now my laptops broke with the exact same part that he changed.

Whats your thoughts?? Would I be right in holding him responsible for this?

(Edited) I forgot to add, the IT guy has said because its a motherboard issue on a laptop its not repairable. The laptop cost me a grand but it is a couple of years old now. Not something I want to chuck away but hes saying it can be very expensive to change the motherboard and it could not fix the issue as theres a few different parts to it. Not sure how tru that is but I have heard before that a motherboard on a laptop = a write off.

2sidedpolygon

Proper
Jul 1, 2018
I seriously doubt it's just a coincidence. He probably messed something up plugging your drive back in. I'd contact him and get him to fix the issue, or just pay somebody who's more competent.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Laptop Tech Support 1
F Laptop Tech Support 0
ekiryl Laptop Tech Support 3
S Laptop Tech Support 1
Boxstep Laptop Tech Support 1
b0rnt0rul3 Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 5
F Laptop Tech Support 2
Z Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 2
J Laptop Tech Support 3