Laptop Motherboard fried. Not quite sure whether I should fix or buy new laptop?

ShadowSMS

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
The motherboard on my laptop has gone out more or less and has rendered my laptop unusable. What would be best for me to do:
Should I strip my old laptop, sell the parts, and buy a new laptop or should I try to fix my old laptop (keep in mind that the motherboard is unusable)?

I am unsure what to do, but I need a laptop. I am leaning toward striping my old laptop, selling the parts, and buying a new laptop because I have no experience in building a laptop nor do I know anyone who does.

Solution
I'm a big believer in fixing things so here is what i would normally say to someone in your situation - assuming they are happy with their current laptop. Go on ebay and buy the exact same (working) laptop. It would probably be cheaper than a new motherboard. When it arrives and you've checked to see that it works ... swap hard drives and .... you're back to where you were before the motherboard packed it in. Plus ... you've got a 2nd power supply (to keep at work or wherever and thus you don't need to carry the power supply around), a 2nd battery (handy when you go somewhere without power) and a bunch of spares (including a screen). It's even possible that the ram from your old machine could supplement the ram in the newer machine...

ShadowSMS

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

I brought it to a friend of mine he runs a computer repair shop. He said the problem seems to be the motherboard.
The laptop is a Sager NP7378. Model: W370SS.
Looking on their website it doesn't seem they make them anymore. I bought the laptop a few years ago.

robert600

Distinguished
I'm a big believer in fixing things so here is what i would normally say to someone in your situation - assuming they are happy with their current laptop. Go on ebay and buy the exact same (working) laptop. It would probably be cheaper than a new motherboard. When it arrives and you've checked to see that it works ... swap hard drives and .... you're back to where you were before the motherboard packed it in. Plus ... you've got a 2nd power supply (to keep at work or wherever and thus you don't need to carry the power supply around), a 2nd battery (handy when you go somewhere without power) and a bunch of spares (including a screen). It's even possible that the ram from your old machine could supplement the ram in the newer machine (assuming there's an empty slot). You could bung the hard drive you're not using into a usb case - reformat it and have a portable hard drive)

Your situation is different though ... Surprisingly, I can't find a listing for a used one (functioning or not) or for a motherboard for that matter. Maybe a more patient search on your part would turn one up. Given all that, it looks to me that a new laptop is the (only) way to go - I have no idea how much luck you would have selling parts from the Sager.

Solution