Laptop/Netbook for TEFL

Gemma_6

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new laptop/netbook for TEFL (English as a Foreign Language) online. Requirements are:
- Must support Skype conversations and have headphone/microphone jack
- Must support Google docs and MS Word
- Excellent Internet connection
- Don't like Google tracking me around the web, so not sure about Chromebooks?

Will be mainly plugged in so not worried about portability or battery life. Not bothered about games.

I can spend $500 max but hoping to get something cheaper. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Solution

Greetings, Gemma:

Will you be using (a) an external monitor or (b) the laptop screen? If (b) the laptop needs an IPS panel. Also, if you're going to use Skype heavily, I'd recommend at least...

Greetings, Gemma:

Will you be using (a) an external monitor or (b) the laptop screen? If (b) the laptop needs an IPS panel. Also, if you're going to use Skype heavily, I'd recommend at least a 15.6" and 2K screen.

Internet speed is really up to you and your ISP, as long as the laptop offers an Ethernet port and WiFi connectivity.

If you have an Android smartphone (i.e. basically any non-Apple device), Google is already tracking you around the web. And even if they aren't right now, using Google Docs is a surefire way to invite them inside.

But let's take a look at these 2 laptops:

HP Notebook $460
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Notebook-15-ay011nr-15-6-Inch-Processor/dp/B01CGGOZOM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479223645&sr=1-1&keywords=laptops+under+500
This HP comes with a 15.6" 2K screen and 8GBs of RAM running on a 6th generation i5 CPU all of which should be more than enough for your stated needs. However, I suspect that the screen is a TN panel, in which case you have to use an external monitor - in my opinion, TN panels are simply useless on laptops, but you may disagree, of course.

Dell Inspiron $500.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5579395.p?skuId=5579395
I included this Dell because of its touch-screen, and you might find it a useful feature. The CPU is only a 5th generation i5 and display resolution is only 1366 x 768, all of which may seem slightly outdated. But it should still be OK for Skype and general productivity.

I think that the HP has the best specifications for your needs - even if I'm somewhat wary of the panel used. But if you have an external monitor (or if you simply don't mind), it is the better of the two.

When researching the above laptops, I noticed that HP seems to be flooding the internet with laptops like the one I included. If you have the time, go on Amazon, Best-Buy and WalMart and sift through some of the models on offer. Most of them fall within your stated budget range.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Solution