Solved! Laptop not charging

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I've got my daughters laptop here. I'm not sure of the processor and all of that because I don't think it's pertinent here. My problem is when I plug it into ac it doesn't work. I get no power light. I you turn the plug around for a few seconds eventually I'll get a light but it doesn't stay on. It is not the plug or the PS because I plugged in another one from my wife's laptop and it doesn't work right either. It works fine for her in her laptop. Funny thing is if you just set the thing down on a table and don't touch it will flash on and off that way too. Last night it came on and stayed on for 15 minutes or so and then right back to the same old stuff again. What could be bad that's causing this? Getting a new laptop is not an option.

Solution
then it is most likely a problem with the laptop.

likely possibilies include cracked solder on AC jack

incompatible charging cable

or a shorted AC jack (most likely according to your symptoms)

if you are willing to dive in with a desolderer, and resolder a *new part*, this could be a $5 repair. Otherwise your best option would be to remove the hard drive, and sell the rest (whole) on ebay and describe the symptoms. Many reapir artists will buy it to repair at a good price. You can then buy a working model with just a missing HD and you're back in business!

Good luck. If you need help soldering the part, there are a zillion guides on google with pictures, you should be able to find one in a few minutes of searching.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Your post is a bit confusing - just to clarify:

The PSU will not work in your daughter's computer unless you play with the plug for a while, moving it about.
The PSU will work in your wife's computer with no malfunctions whatsoever.

If these two are correct, then your problem is the power jack on your daughter's computer - it may have come loose from the motherboard. Can you wiggle the jack around in it's socket?

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

Actually I opened the case up enough to take hold of the jack with 2 fingers. It doesn't seem to be lose at all. I'm not sure how to put it other than to say, when plugging in the power cord it doesn't work unless you fiddle with it a bit. But even if you just let it sit not touching it, it will still make random connections. I don't know what could be wrong to make it behave like this. If it was a short one would think that moving the plug or cord in a specific way would work every time. This doesn't seem to be the case here. It will just start working by itself with no one touching it on a table.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

To clarify, I'm not a complete newby. Only to laptops. If it were a desktop, usually it's not a problem. Until recently I've always built my own because I could build speed cheaper than I could buy it. These days not so much. I've never done that with a laptop. I did feel comfortable taking the screws out of it and checking the plug. My wife's cord doesn't have the problem when plugged into her laptop. The cord that goes with my daughters laptop does not have this problem when pluged into my wife's laptop either. Both of those cords do have the problem when plugged into my daughters box. Since the plug isn't lose, this has me stumped. The only thing left is to just take it apart completely and have a better look. I was trying to avoid that. I think it's likely a grounding issue. That's a good place to start.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

Sorry about the confusion. I'm going to get into it and see what's going on. I have another defunc laptop that my son blew (you really should touch the plug of a head set to metal before plugging it in) If I have to I can cannibalize the plug off of that and try swapping it out. Touchy work.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
just because the jack isn't moving, does not mean it works.

The solder around the jack can have a small crack, but still hold the jack in place. I would suggest testing it with another power adapter. (which you can return if it is not the problem)

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

I already did. I checked with the adapter that it came with and the one that came with my wifes computer. Both have problems on my daughters box but do not have any problems when plugged into my wife's.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
then it is most likely a problem with the laptop.

likely possibilies include cracked solder on AC jack

incompatible charging cable

or a shorted AC jack (most likely according to your symptoms)

if you are willing to dive in with a desolderer, and resolder a *new part*, this could be a $5 repair. Otherwise your best option would be to remove the hard drive, and sell the rest (whole) on ebay and describe the symptoms. Many reapir artists will buy it to repair at a good price. You can then buy a working model with just a missing HD and you're back in business!

Good luck. If you need help soldering the part, there are a zillion guides on google with pictures, you should be able to find one in a few minutes of searching.

Solution

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

I opened the case and removed the MB. It seems Acer doesn't have this part on the MB. It's attached to the motherboard but they call it a Power Board. This board comes off with 2 screws and is replaceable for about $40. This doesn't surprise me. I've always liked Acer. They're not the fastest box on the lot, but they are very practical and user friendly and durable. They realized that this may be an issue and made way for an easy fix. Haven't ordered the new part yet but when I do I should have it working in about an hour.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
This is excellent news...

Now you don't run the risk of screwing up your MB with soldering.

I recommend you order the new part from ebay, if it doesn't fix the problem - you can resell it and get 95% of your money back.

Good luck!