laptop not normally powered off

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I have a desktop that is going to fail soon. I am hesitating if I should buy a laptop as the desktop replacement and no longer use a desktop.

I have a habit of not powering off the desktop computer and I will not change this habit for a laptop computer. Would this cause heat issue or age the hardware much faster for a laptop?? Most likely I will only sleep the laptop, I will not power if off totally.

Could this be a problem?

Asus, Lenovo, which one makes the better quality laptop?

Solution
I have an old AMD A4-3300M laptop that when I used it, I would never turn it off unless I was travelling with it. The computer was 4 years old when I decided it was no longer worth using. I used it as a desktop computer with the case closed, and I had an external 1080p monitor, keyboard and mouse. I placed the laptop on my Desk's keyboard tray so that it was out of the way, further limiting its cooling ability and even though it had poor cooling it was still stable.

I think now that its 5 years old, I should have the thermal paste replaced but it still runs well enough for basic tasks.

JQB45

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
I have an old AMD A4-3300M laptop that when I used it, I would never turn it off unless I was travelling with it. The computer was 4 years old when I decided it was no longer worth using. I used it as a desktop computer with the case closed, and I had an external 1080p monitor, keyboard and mouse. I placed the laptop on my Desk's keyboard tray so that it was out of the way, further limiting its cooling ability and even though it had poor cooling it was still stable.

I think now that its 5 years old, I should have the thermal paste replaced but it still runs well enough for basic tasks.

Solution