Laptop not powering up, bad motherboard?

Steve22

Estimable
Aug 20, 2015
Hello all,

My laptop isn't powering up. No lights and no indication at all that the battery is charging. I have replaced the power supply, tried powering it on with only the power supply attached and still nothing.

What's odd is that when I replaced the power supply at first it powered on and windows booted so I thought it was fixed. I had to take out the battery and put it back in first to get it to boot and take a charge. That was about a week ago, and now it won't charge or power up at all.

My gut feeling is that the motherboard may need replacing, or it could be a bad connection somewhere. It could be the power jack itself but that seems less likely to me (tried jiggling, etc, still nothing). Is it worth it to replace the motherboard? I have read that I would need a new copy of windows, is this true?

This laptop is a 6 year old Lenovo Thinkpad, so I am due for an upgrade anyway and might just buy a new laptop. Would I be able to retrieve the data from my laptops hard drive by putting it in a new pc?