Laptop not recognising chargers as correct voltage

our0

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
Recently, my old Alienware MX14 laptop has been refusing to charge, so I bought a new battery and charger to try and fix the problem. However, the issue has persisted, and upon using the option in the boot menu to detect if a charger of the wrong voltage is being used on boot, I'm getting said error message that the charger is incompatible, and that system performance is being reduced as a result. I get this error message regardless of whether or not a batter is connected, and with both my old and new chargers. Does anyone have any advice?

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
What are the wattage/voltage of both the new adapter and the old one? Look on the adapter itself it should say something like:

65W 20V

If the voltage is different between the two then that's your problem, you'll need to get an adapter that matches the voltage of the previous adapter

our0

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015

Both chargers are 19.5v, so it's not that I'm afraid.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
If the same problem persists even with a new battery/adapter I'd probably guess that it's an issue with the motherboard... how old is the laptop - do you have any kind of warranty left?

our0

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015

About 3 or 4 years, long past warranty. I was hoping it might be something else, but that seems most likely at this point.