Laptop not shutting completely (Power light and fan stays on after shutdown)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonMercenary

Estimable
Jun 11, 2014
Hi,

I have an Acer Asipre 4755G laptop (2nd Gen i5, 1GB Nvidia GT 540M, 3 GB RAM, 500 GB HD). And I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 in my laptop yesterday. I have had the laptop for over two years running the same windows but it had slowed down so I wanted a fresh install. Anyway, everything went smooth and I installed the windows and all the drivers. But today I noticed a new problem. When I shut down my laptop, everything shuts down including the screen, hard disk and stuff but the power light/indicator and the fan doesnt turn off. I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds for my laptop to turn off completely.

Also, I used to put my laptop to sleep by closing the lid and then only the battery light would blink every 3 seconds. I would then hit any button to wake it. But now when I close my lid to put it to sleep, the laptop sleeps but the power light stays on and the battery light doesnt blink anymore. And pressing any key doesn't wake it. I have to shut it down by holding the power button down and then start it all over again.

So far I have....

- Updated my Intel HD 3000 and my Nvidia GT 540M drivers but it still woudnt shut down fully.

- Shut it down manually using the power button, removed the battery and then pressed the power button for 30 seconds to drain any power in it. It didnt work.

- I tried removing my battery completely, and started the windows with my A/C adapter and then shut it down and it didnt work either. The screen and HD shuts down but the power light and the fans are still on. Had to turn it off manually again with the power button.

- Opened the event viewer but not sure where to look in it. Maybe someone can guide me here.

- Scheduled a chkdsk which will happen when I restart in a bit. Will post if it shows any errors.

sam koll

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
MoonMercenary You are a Genius... Acer Sspire 8930G would not shut down nor restart correctly after window 10 upgrade. [for all the others that may read this]
1. went into Bios F2 when computer starts up
2. used arrow keys to tab across to " Boot" tab
3. I think it was F9 to reset to default

Once again credit where credit is due... Cudos to MoonMercenary . Let Jesus be Praised for creating us all in the image of God

Furiosa

Estimable
Aug 16, 2015
Hi, i have the same problem after upgrading to windows 10. I tried all the proposed solutions but still have the same problem :( ... Notice that it shut down correctly if i use the laptop for a few moment but if i use it for 3 hours or more, the problem persists

Filip995

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015

Exactly the same problem, shuts down normally after short usage and fails to shut down completely after I use it for longer than 2 hours. Also I noticed that, after "bad" shutdown, next boot takes much more time. Very annoying problem :(

I'm using windows 10 (Dell inspiron 5737)

petedamian

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
"Anyway, I found the solution on my own after some experimentation. Turns out the boot order in the BIOS matters. I fiddled around with it when I was installing a fresh copy of my windows 7. So for anyone facing the same issues, just get inside the bios and load the default settings to get the original boot order back. If anyone is not sure of the order, let me know and I will write it down. I guess it should be the same for all Acer Laptop users.[/quotemsg]"

This solution worked. Thank you

jacko98

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015

have you tried holding the power button for 7 seconds until it force shut-down? not always a bright idea,make sure all unsaved files that you want saving are saved or you'll lose them

hope to be a help

tarun_5225

Estimable
Oct 17, 2015
uninstall these drivers prob will be solved

intel rapid storage

intel security assist

intel management engine
just keep the intel graphics driver....
i was also have these prob for 2 month but now it is solved....its really frustrating i knw...but i lstly found a solution.....it will work for sure

techincs132

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014

and how do I uninstall these drivers?

James_120

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015

I also was pulling my hair out trying to fix that same problem with the light and fan not shutting off. In her case the keyboard lights would not shut off, and it wasn't restarting. So both the "shut down" and "restart" were not working. Taking inspiration from what you said here, I went into my daughter's ASUS BIOS and the only thing that looked out of place was a "Fast Boot" option that was Enabled, I disabled it and now the problem is solved.

BTW, I think you're being a bit hard on forum contributors. Most of us are not expert and are hoping that what worked for us will help someone else. In reality Microsoft, Google, and Mozilla are often even less helpful than these forums (which how I think these forums began). However, I do understand the frustration of getting nowhere after visiting a lot of forums.

To sum it up, Thank You!! for being there to help.

James_120

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015

Just my two cents, I would be careful uninstalling drivers unless you know what you're doing. It can not only not help but make your computer unusable.

Paul111111

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015
I've been suffering this issue since the November Microsoft big update. Spent quite a time reading forums and trying suggestions without success. However the latest issue of computer active includes a secyion on how to restore programs/changes etc caused by the update.
There is also a referral to a new free program called FixWin 10 http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fixwin-for-windows-1010 -one of the options is to add the hibernate option to the start, power section.
I've now been using this instead of shut down for the last couple of days and it's worked every time.

PS I read up on the shut down / hibernate differences -hibernate turns the power off thus saving your battery after saving the state of open programs etc to the hard disc...... on restart it restores everything

Good luck Paul

porush1

Estimable
Dec 13, 2015
Spot On MoonMercenary!! Had been puzzled with this problem for a couple of weeks now. BIOS is the key, just resetting it to default sets things right. Shutdown, Sleep, Hibernate all working fine now.

Easy does it

1. F 10 at system boot
2. Go to Boot Menu ... F9 to restore default settings
3 Save and Exit.

That's all folks!!

Cheers!! MoonMercenary.

Porush

Paul111111

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015
Well, I was a little premature with my suggestion of using the hibernate function, shortly afterwards it started doing it even with closing down this way.
For about a week afterwards I was using the command prompt and issuing the command
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0 which is a bit brutal but works (suggestion from another forum)

At this time I got a message from 'Drive booster 3' saying something about fixes/updates. Good free program this (for keeping drivers up to date), but when I installed it I thought that I had ensured nothing of it was loading at start-up (I like to run things myself, when I want to, thanks). Obviously something was... I couldn't find anything unexpected when I ran the program but noticed in the task bar 'show hidden icons' there was an unexpected icon and right clicking this called up some 'internet protection' that was 'protecting me' and there was a click box to 'run at start up' Unticked this and the shut down function has worked perfectly ever since.
Good luck

Tomas_7

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015
Hello guys, I had the same problem with my laptop over 3 months and now after I looked up all information over forums, I noticed that this problem is characterized for laptops with two video cards (Intel graphics and Nvidia or Radeon), also I found information that Intel Graphics card drivers are modified by laptops manufacturer and they are different than default from Intel web or Microsoft updater. After all that I finally found solution: I gone to my laptops manufacturer website, downloaded and installed all Intel drivers (even if it was older version than already installed). Also if there were not drivers for your OS, try installing for previous version(I had Windows 10 but installed driver for Windows 8.1). After all that, my laptop started work normally. You also can try reset BIOS boot settings to default.

Shailesh_256

Estimable
Dec 24, 2015
I had similar problem with my dell inspiron after I installed windows 10. The solution i recently got known is to 'keep the power key pressed until it is turned off completely'. You have to do this when the screen has gone off but the power led and fan is still on. I still don't know the reason why my laptop won't shut off automatically as it's used to. But this solution has saved me from removing my battery every time the system won't shut off.

Ghehan

Estimable
Dec 23, 2015

Hi, your problem is same with me, do you have the solution already?
anyone please help me

Status
Not open for further replies.