Laptop not using dedicated GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasPancakes

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Laptop: Lenovo Y410P
Integrated GPU: Intel HD 4600
Dedicated GPU: GT755M

My 1 month old Y410P was functioning perfectly in that games were actually running on the GT755M instead of the Intel HD 4600. I can't really pinpoint any single event that would cause my issue but about a week or so ago, no matter which program I run or settings I use, my Intel HD 4600 is the only GPU that is being used. My GT755M activity is always at 0%. I suspect it MIGHT'VE started when my NVIDIA software ran an update as shortly after is when I noticed I wasn't running on dedicated graphics.

I have already tried the following:

NVIDIA Control Panel:
-Set the global preferred GPU to High Performance NVIDIA GPU
-Set the power management to High Performance

Intel Graphics Control Panel:
-Set 3D to Performance
-Set power management to High Performance

Windows Control Panel:
-Set power management to High Performance

Software Installation:
-Installed Lenovo outdated Intel and NVIDIA drivers
-Uninstalled and Reinstalled current versions of Intel and NVIDIA Graphics Software

BIOS:
-Found only the option to choose between Integrated and Integrated+Dedicated

Power:
-Tried taking battery out to be sure I was running on charger

I have tried everything I know of. I am about ready to start commiting violence against my computer.

Regards,
TexasPancakes

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

This happens when these services are stopped :
  1. NVIDIA Driver Helper Service
  2. NVIDIA Update Service Daemon.

Start Task Manager. Click the tab "Services
".Click on a button named "Services." Find them, their names. Right click on them. Then, Properties. Then, Click on "Start " and then select Start-up time :
for the first ->Automatic
for the second -service > Automatic(Delayed Start)

After doing that , it should run.

pavadavid

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015

Please master teach me how to do that for an AMD GPU please i don't know what to do :<

hommedesneiges

Estimable
Jan 10, 2016
I have the same exact problem with a y510p GT750M. Use to play games fine not too long ago (Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Dying Light, etc.), now it doesn't want to use the NVIDIA GPU. Tried everything in control panel, tried right-click - run with gpu, uninstalled all software, rolled back driver, reinstalled everything.. For some reason now it just won't switch to discrete GPU. Did you find a solution?

Thanks

AWwill

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016

Two years after you said this but you just saved my life..had this same graphics issue and your solution worked.. THANK YOU

maert1n88

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Tried every of this,and many from other forums still dont work. When i restart the games starting with NVIDIA ,then swtich again to integrated and i can't turn it on again until next restart adn next 15 min. :( :( :( :( :( Asus RoG GL552VW what a bugged crapp. :( Pls help

omidark

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
On Dell precision I found a solution to turn on the dedicated Nvidia GPU, instead of Intel integrated:
In BIOS, Video settings, disable "Enable Switchable Graphics". After restart, it assumed only dedicated GPU and it has been working fine until now.

Justinas_2

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
I had the same problem just now on my Lenovo Z500 with dual video cards after installing newest Intel driver suite last week. What I did now is un-install Intel GPU drivers and all associated programs from "Add/remove devices" in Control Panel, restarted, let it re-install these drivers automatically, and voila! Switching GPU's works again.

matt leep

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Same issue with a GTX 860M with Intel HD 4600 processor. GTA 5 would always run with the integrated gpu and never the GTX 860M.
My problem was the driver for the Intel HD 4600 always said Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in the Device Manager. Wasted half a day reinstalling Nvidia Drivers. Searched for updated Microsoft Basic Display Adapter drivers. Windows never installed the proper driver for the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Wasn't until I downloaded GPU Z and it took me to a page that said it was the Intel HD 4600. So I went and downloaded driver for the Intel HD 4600 directly from Intel's site the correct driver for it and it fixed my problem.
After I installed the driver from intel it than showed up in Device Manager as Intel HD 4600.

Lupinos

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

Can you please type a list of all associated programs that related to Intel GPU Drivers?

Please explain in details, I tried this step so many times but still it doesnt work the screen just gone black and I have to force restart.

2lstgun

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
Well I'm having a similar problem and nothing I can see here is helping.

Specs:
Windows 7
i5-2430m
nVidia GeForce 520mx
nVidia Optimus

I can't disable Optimus due to the mobo/bios software.
I can manually launch games using the GPU, but if I don't then they use the CPU. Regardless of what my settings are in the manager. On top of this, if the game has a launcher I can't run the game with my GPU no matter what - not with settings or manually launching. The only exception to this is Minecraft, which seems to have some sort of preference and launches with my GPU even if I set it to CPU in the manager.

I have tried the following:
Uninstalling and reinstalling the 520mx driver
Disabling Intel HD - just results in games not running at all
Setting preferred renderer to the GPU - both generally and specific to each application
Disabling windows updates and installing the driver for my windows version
Doing the "compatability mode" thing with the manager and launching it as admin

Status
Not open for further replies.