Solved! Laptop (on Win7) takes 5+ mins to boot.

G

I hope this is in the right section.

I've had my laptop for 1.5 years (Compaq CQ50 110US).

Microprocessor 2.00 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-70 Dual-Core Mobile Processor
Microprocessor Cache 1 MB L2 Cache
Memory 3072 MB
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8200M

When I boot up the computer, it goes through the BIOS fine and then it goes to the windows logo where it flashes in and out. on my computer it hangs here for around 5 or so minutes before I get to the login screen. Once I reach the login screen, the computer loads the desktop and all of my startup programs fairly quickly.

This is very irritating and I don't know how to diagnose it. I have updated the BIOS, installed new video card drivers from nvidia.com numerous times (with different versions), scanned for malware, defragged my drive, blew out the dust out of my fan. and I had a similar hanging problem on XP which prompted me to format and install win7. I don't THINK it's software related, though i re-downloaded 64 bit versions and installed similar programs that i was using on XP.

Occasionally my computer completely hangs and requires a restart when I'm opening a video file. I've noticed whenever I have Jdownloader (a java app) running and attempt to load a video file i seem to freeze frequently, but I've also frozen without it running. I don't know if this is related to the first problem

What advice do you guys have for me? Thanks!

Solution
Hi again. The only other thing I can think it might be is your memory. Is it seated in the motherboard properly? Have you tried Memtest? Or you could just try starting with one memory stick installed and swap one stick at a time to see if one is faulty

exela

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
If you notice , when you fresh installed win7 how was the loading time ? Because if it was ok , not 5 mins , and you started to wait that much after you installed drivers , it's definitely a driver related problem and maybe you should try reinstall your drivers one by one.

mibix19

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Try going to Start\ Run and type MSCONFIG. Click the startup tab and uncheck all the boxes except anything microsoft and your video card .Do the same for the services tab ( There is a box you can check to hide all Microsoft services.) Restart your laptop and see if it is quicker. If so go back to MSCONFIG and check the boxes one at a time restarting after each tick. Do this until you find the one causing problems. You can then either update, re-install or leave it unchecked if you can do without it.

G

I tried going to msconfig and disabling all the non windows services and startup programs and the same thing happened.

Right now I have minimal things booting up. My firewall previously (which i uninstalled to see if that was the problem) was the only non mandatory program I had at startup.

My HDD appears to be intact and I also ran a full chkdsk on boot to no avail.

I've been trying to recall if I had this issue off a clean windows 7 installation with no drivers installed and I can't remember it. right now i'm a bit hesitant to reformat once again to test this out but I will do it if it's my last resort.

What else do you guys think I could try? I was considering uninstalling all of the drivers like exela alluded to, but other than the video (and some printer, keyboard, etc) drivers there doesn't seem to be much to uninstall unless i go to device manager to forcibly remove network drivers and such?

Thanks for the input so far

mibix19

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi again. The only other thing I can think it might be is your memory. Is it seated in the motherboard properly? Have you tried Memtest? Or you could just try starting with one memory stick installed and swap one stick at a time to see if one is faulty

Solution