Laptop Only Detects Headphones When Restarted, and Audio Quality is Terrible

Sellers Hill

Estimable
Dec 14, 2014
Hello, I have a Dell XPS 15 9560.
The problem originally was that there was a squealing kind of sound when headphones were plugged into the jack without sound playing. This problem developed into a serious sound quality issue where headphones would sound deep and severely distorted sometimes when plugged into the laptop. Finally, the laptop has stopped detecting headphones when they are plugged into the jack, only playing the (distorted) audio when the computer is restarted with the headphones plugged in. I have already turned off audio enhancement and updated all audio drivers, but it will not let me set a default device, even when my headphones are detected.

Solution
Either the headphones are the problem. I suggest trying them on another device to be sure they aren't. Or the jack is bad.

If that is the case, then you can either go through having it replaced, or you can get yourself a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect through the USB port.
Either the headphones are the problem. I suggest trying them on another device to be sure they aren't. Or the jack is bad.

If that is the case, then you can either go through having it replaced, or you can get yourself a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect through the USB port.

Solution
Jan 10, 2019
you can perform a fresh install of windows and keep all files and apps with the media creation tool available on microsoft's website. Just click the button for setting up this pc, and choose keep everything after the download finishes.