Laptop Overheating. How to cut air vents into bottom cover.

kraymond

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015
Hello,

I had a question about how to best cut air vents into the bottom of my Laptop. I have Sony Vaio Fit 15A, and find that the fan is ALWAYS running, even during simple tasks such as just browsing the internet. For instance, I'm just browsing the internet right now, the fan is running at a moderate speed right now, and according to Piriform Speccy, the laptop is at 63 degrees Celsius, which is typically where it's at. What I find funny is that there is absolutely NO air vent located over the fan. The only air vent near it is located over the heatsink piping (right vent), and two vents over the RAM (except one is completely blocked off, and half of the other one is blocked too (the middle two). Why? I have no clue). This site has some good images of the cover and internals: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+Vaio+Flip+15+SVF15N17CXB+HDD+Replacement/25552

The system seems to be starving for air, but there definitely seems to be a design flaw. So, I was wanting to install some air vent over the CPU fan, but didn't want to butcher the thing or make it look hideous. I was wondering what the best way to go about doing that is? Has anyone used a dremel? I was hoping to make it look identical or almost identical to the existing vents. If not, at least make it look like a professionally finished product. Any tips would help a lot.

That's where the vents should be, the fan blows air along the duct and out the vent. There is never a vent over the fan on any laptop I have seen. The laptop does dissipate heat out the keyboard a bit, but that's it.

With a heat pipe setup, the fan is not there to blow direct air over the component, it helps the cooler liquid inside the heatpipe turn back to liquid after it turns to vapor. http://www.aavid.com/product-group/heatpipe/operate

If you have issues with cooling, you can remove the heatsinks and re-install them with new heat grease.

kraymond

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015

So, if I'm getting this right, the heat coming from the CPU and GPU are transferred to the heatpipes, where the heat is dissipated from the pipes through the vent that is located over the pipes. Then any additional heat would be blown out the side vent by the fan, where the fan also cools the pipes as well, correct?

One thing I should note is that Sony put some sort of dust screen over these vents, which does have very small holes in it, but seems that it would drastically reduce any heat from escaping. Do you think it would help to remove them?

kraymond

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015
Alternate full view
flip15_guts.jpg