Laptop Overheats When Pluged In...

Jory__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
I've been building computers for almost 20 years, not laptops, the other day my laptop started lagging, The bottom was super hot and literally everything I did had a delay even scrolling through browsing, initially I thought it was dust so I took it all apart and cleaned it out, that didn't work so I figured the laptop is going on 5 years now, it could be the thermal paste so I ripped it all apart again and re-did the paste, put it all back together and still it was capping out at 90degrees from startup. For whatever reason I had Open Hardware Monitor open and I took off the power adapter and immediatley the heat started dropping, with it unplugged I can get around 73C with no problems running applications ect. I checked the power settings, I'm running it in full power both with and without the power adapter so that wouldn't cause the issue. I don't see any kinks or tears in the cord, I take good care of my stuff so could the power cord just be doing something here or is there something else that could be causing me an issue?

Laptop is a Samsung NP700Z5
Intel i7-3635QM
Nvidia GT640M
8GB RAM

Thanks in advance,

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Fans are a Mechanical device that can wear out, slow down etc...

Typically without the Power cord, you could be running the GPU/CPU at a reduced power/freq setting... verify your Operational Freqs (gpu-z, Cpu-z, ?) to see if this happening between those two power situations.

The charging circuit/battery could be causing the additional heat problem too... do you see any obvious circuit board discoloring around that area or other areas? B /

Jory__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

I didn't see any discoloration anywhere, at least nothing abnormal. I will take it apart again tonight and take a look.

Intel HD
GPU Clock - 650Mhz
Default Clock - 650Mhz

GT 640M
GPU Clock - 645Mhz
Default Clock - 645Mhz

CPU Core -

2396.00 Multiplier x 24

The only thing that changes is the CPU Core VID jumps from about .90V to 1.1V

I lied the core speed also goes from 2.3 to about 3.1Mhz

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... .8/2.3 is 34.8% difference, 17/73 is 23% difference and .2/.90 is 22.2% difference... it seems to correlate that your CPU fan/cooler is under performing at the 3.1/1.1 power level.

What are your BIO's fan control settings?

Jory__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

So how hard is it to pickup a replacement fan? I've never replaced a laptop fan, are they all the same or do I have to order them from somewhere?

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... 1) What are your BIO's fan control settings? check that first, and try/experiment with the different ones (save&exit) B /
2) Boot your Bio's and Report back your idle fan speed and Cpu/system temperatures. (pc health page?)
3) Was your CPU cooler made of aluminum or copper?

Take a picture and dimensions... I have found/fitted/modded a lot of fans for different systems but NOT LAPTOPs... most everything has a maker, or part number on it... there is a Voltage and RPM listed too... and there are makers of upgraded/better fan blades and cooling systems... Ebay could be full of your exact Fan model from parted out/Dropped/damaged systems... your Fan model could be common to a lot of other laptop makers. B /

Jory__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

1) Can't do, super limited views in this samsung bios.
2) Doesn't have that either.
3) Copper pipe.

I will take it apart and do the dimensions later on tomorrow, don't have time today.

Jory__

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

So I've been playing around during today, I took the bottom off and have been toying around, I can hold my finger on the cpu/Gpu copper pipes
Code:
but there is a spot on my Samsung that has a different heat sink, pch ba62-00503A and that is way hotter than the rest, going to try replacing the thermal paste there and see if that helps.