Laptop power cord replacement

silesh.c

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
I misplaced my laptop power cord. I have the adapter, it is a 200w one, but the power cord is missing. The connector on the adapter is a IEC 320 C13/C14, the same one on desktop power supply and monitors. My question is, can I use one of those cords instead? Will it be fine since I'm using the right adapter? Will something blow up? Any response would be appreciated.

Solution
Shouldn't be a problem, no.

The adapter aspect is doing the work in providing appropriate power to the laptop, the cord is just wall to the adapter.

As long as you're not using a ridiculously cheap, poorly spec'd cable with too small a gauge from the power draw, you'll be fine.
Shouldn't be a problem, no.

The adapter aspect is doing the work in providing appropriate power to the laptop, the cord is just wall to the adapter.

As long as you're not using a ridiculously cheap, poorly spec'd cable with too small a gauge from the power draw, you'll be fine.

Solution

InvalidError

Distinguished

200W from 120V AC is less than 2A, it would be fine even on #24 wires.

AFAIK though, the minimum wire gauge for unprotected AC power cords is #18 as the cords have to have thick enough conductors to safely trip 15A breakers under most typical short-circuit and overload conditions.