Laptop powers up but screen won't turn on after disassembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlos00

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am the owner of an ASUS A53S which seems to turn on when I press the power button but the screen stays black. I'll state with bulletpoints what I did and how the laptop responded as to make more clear the possible causes of the problem.

-The laptop was working almost fine, but I decided it was time to clean some dust from the motherboard.

-Therefore I disassembled the laptop and cleaned the motherboard. Along the way I disattached the RAM memory and the HDD. Did not touch the CPU or the GPU or anything else "sensible".

-I assembled it back together, but forgot to insert the RAM memory. So I turned on the laptop, and it powered up, but the screen stayed off. I turned it off by pressing the power button a few seconds.

-I realized the RAM wasn't inserted, so I inserted it. No change occured from the previous behaviour. It still powered up but the screen wouldn't react.

-The "Drive Activity Indicator" light and the wifi light blinks just after powering, but doesn't blink anymore after. I tried pressing the Num Lk and Caps Lk to see if they blinked and maybe the computer was working fine and it was a screen problem, but they didn't react.

-I connected an external monitor, to no effect.

-Without the laptop disconnected from the AC supply (I have been with no battery attached for quite a while) I tried pressing the power button for a minute, and then connecting it back and turning the computer on; no change.

-I had a Windows 7 DVD in the DVD drive so I took it out and turned on the laptop again without the DVD; no change.

-I later realized that with the AC supply connected, if I turned off the computer pressing the power button, it would turn off, but after a few seconds it would turn on itself, only stopping when I unplug.

-I tried connecting and disconnecting again the HDD and the RAM memory (by the way; I have two RAM cards connected). No change.

-I disassembled again the whole laptop, following the same procedure as the first time. This time I took out the CMOS battery for a few minutes and put it back again. I assembled. No change.

And that's all I've done/tried till now. Sorry for such a lengthy post, and thanks for anyone taking the time to read it, not to mention answering.

Thanks a lot,

Carlos

Solution
(Seems) It was a problem with the RAM. I unplugged one of the two RAM cards, and booted alright. Brushed both the other card slot and the other RAM card and the problem was solved.

Thanks anyways,
Carlos

carlos00

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
(Seems) It was a problem with the RAM. I unplugged one of the two RAM cards, and booted alright. Brushed both the other card slot and the other RAM card and the problem was solved.

Thanks anyways,
Carlos

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.