Laptop PSU Issue

krn22media

Prominent
Dec 14, 2017
Hey Everybody.

I’ve just had a power supply issue with my new Asus GL503VD laptop and its Auto range power supply (model A17-150P1A). I’d been using this power supply with 120 volt 60hz power in Canada with no problems. I used the included power cable to do this (IEC 320 C5 to NEMA 5-15P). In Ukraine I bought an IEC 320 C5 to CEE 7/7 power cable for the power supply. I plugged it in started the laptop. And a few minutes later noticed a burning plastic smell, so I picked up the power supply brick and it started to audibly spark and then started smoking from where the power supply cable plugs into the brick. I quickly unplugged the PSU from the wall. The brick looks fine, but the cable end that plugs into to psu had a bit of melted plastic residue on it. Any ideas on wht happened here? My thoughts are that the psu drew too much current, causing the cable to heat up rapidly, then when I picked up the psu, a section of it shorted. Another thought is that the cable was the wrong type, wired wrong or had a some sort of short in it from the beginning. Then there’s the PSU... if the wiring in the cable was wrong wouldn’t the laptop psu stop current from flowing, and aren’t PSU suppose to have current limiting? For now I’m going to take the laptop and PSU back to where I bought it from and have them look at the cable/PSU. I hope I didn’t do any damage to the laptop. A side note... I’ve been running my HP DV6 laptop via a travelling adapter with no ground and have had no issues over the last few days Ive been here. The building is high end and only a couple of years old, so the power infrastructures probably fine. Any insight on what went wrong here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Solution
Sounds like the cable you were using either had a fault or there was a problem in the outlet. You are lucky it didn't harm the laptop.

I would contact the manufacturer about it.