Laptop purchase help - Top 4 in your honest opinion

MrVic87

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I was just informed that I will be getting a laptop from work. I would like suggestions by the community on what are some of the best laptops out there. I am not familiar with laptops, cuz truth be told, I never owned one. I would be using this laptop for mostly graphics, video editing, and possibly gaming.

I prefer pc over Mac, but I'm not that picky if the Mac is best in what I'm looking for. Thanks guys.

Update: I didn't see the sticky with the questions to answer regarding getting a laptop, here goes:

1. What is your budget? $2500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15" or bigger screen

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1920x1080, but 1600 is ok

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? New laptop, never owned one before

5. How much battery life do you need? At least 6 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? This will be merely a work laptop, but games? GTA V, High settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Photo and Video editing primarily. Office work such as Excel, Powerpoint, Word. Gaming secondary

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 1TB HDD or 500gb or more SSD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Dell, Asus, or Apple

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Don't plan to replace it unless broken or no longer works.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD rom

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Dell or Apple mainly. I'm more of a pc guy. My colleagues however, uses Macs exclusively. I have worked with Macs before. Only gripe is that I don't like how the keys are so flat on keyboard. I'm used to blue switch keys on mechanical keyboards.

13. What country do you live in? US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. That's all.

What type of graphics work?

Does it involve anything where absolute precision is necessary to render graphics like displaying geographical structures (like potential oil reserves in the ocean) or for CAD work (like designing an airplane)? For something like that you would need a workstation GPU that is capable of double floating point precision... something a gaming GPU will not be able to perform, even a GTX 1080.

MrVic87

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
No, nothing regarding CAD work. Graphic design work such as running photoshop, illustrator, indesign, and after effects programs. I want to be able to have multiple programs running without a hitch. Currently, I am using an i5 desktop with only 4gb of ram with the above mentioned programs, and as you can imagine, it's a pain to use them all at the same time. I was offered to build a laptop and get everything needed, to work more efficiently.