Laptop Purchasing Advice

deadsa13er

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014
Hello,

I'm looking for a laptop for university for myself. Whilst looking around, I found this model by HP.

This seems like a good model and the specs aren't terrible for the price, considering its a laptop and not a desktop. I was wondering if others thought it would be worth purchasing? I can't seem to find anything else cheaper, so this is the one I'm looking at buying.

If someone else knows of any cheaper model that is reliable (could be less powerful) then I would love to see it, thanks!

Solution
i know but it just depends, i had a Toshiba with a HDD and the startup time drove me insane, even just trying to open a file took forever, not only that but hdd's are vulnerable to movement, especially while it's running. lets say you bump your computer while its spinning, it might shatter and you can't retrieve that data.
the ssd is a much faster and stable alternative, at the cost of space
P.S i have half that amount of space in my pc and i get by

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
The specs there are indeed pretty good for the price, especially having a -Q model i5 chip (a proper quad core as opposed to the dual core chips in most laptops).

If it's uses are to include gaming (or programming, where it may have to compile code), this one seems a good bet.

deadsa13er

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014

I doubt I'll need an SSD as it will only really be used for word processing and gaming as far as I'm aware. I haven't got an SSD in my desktop either way so I'm not missing out.

deadsa13er

Estimable
Sep 12, 2014

With this model I would only have 256GB on storage, unlike the 1TB HDD on the other model. This potentially would be an issue

ComputerGeek21

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
i know but it just depends, i had a Toshiba with a HDD and the startup time drove me insane, even just trying to open a file took forever, not only that but hdd's are vulnerable to movement, especially while it's running. lets say you bump your computer while its spinning, it might shatter and you can't retrieve that data.
the ssd is a much faster and stable alternative, at the cost of space
P.S i have half that amount of space in my pc and i get by

Solution