Laptop recognizes linux but not windows

Robbe_1

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Hi all,

I was asked to repair a friend's computer he said that his laptop was broken and he brought the computer back to the shop for repair. The repairman said that it was only possible to install linux and not windows (the laptop had windows pre-installed). I found that odd so I made a live Windows USB and plugged it in. There was no option to boot from USB/CD/... the BIOS had no boot priority so I searched to find a solution. You have to enable/disable legacy mode and safety boot.. Now this BIOS doesn't have that option so I can't get the priorities to show up. After long searching I took the HDD out of the laptop and installed windows with another laptop, that worked perfectly on THAT LAPTOP! I plugged the HDD back in the broken one and it doesn't boot windows he just goes straight to BIOS...

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Here are the specs of the laptop:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks in advance!

JohnBonhamsGhost

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
the disk format, GPT or MBR is the default options nowadays. how it was formatted when you wiped the drive.
but if the 32bit Windows installed on it this can't be the issue, only 64bit systems can run GPT.

does the BIOS give you the option to select boot device? if the HD you're booting from doesn't show up there it may be a problem with the BIOS itself.
maybe try downloading a BIOS update for the system, or even reflashing the existing BIOS if no new ones exist, just to be sure.

Paul NZ

Admirable
Put it in a working PC. Delete its partitions / fornat it in NTFS. Then try. If youre using Win10 x64 enable secureboot and UEFI then boot from dvd/flash drive

The USB option maybe under boot/hard device BBS Priorities. The cd/dvd boot option is here too

Robbe_1

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
No i can't select any boot devices, but when linux is installed on the HDD in automatically boots from the HDD but when windows in installed on the same HDD he goes straight to BIOS.

I tried updating the BIOS but there was no update, I'll try to flash it!

Robbe_1

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016

That's the problem I can't disable secure & uefi mode :/
And all the USB options are on enable

JohnBonhamsGhost

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
if it's "stuck" in UEFI mode there's a good chance it was originally running Windows 7 Home x64. you may need to switch from 32bit to 64.
the B960 is a 64bit processor so i would assume this laptop was outfitted with a 64bit version of Windows.

Robbe_1

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016

I've installed windows 7 home x64 but he goes straight into bios and there are no boot options.
I think there is something wrong with the BIOS, so i tried flashing it but it's to oldest version and when i try to 'update' it to the current version it says to build date is too old..

Robbe_1

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016

I already have the newest version of the BIOS