Solved! laptop refuses to delete dual partition setup

mike_s

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I'm trying to cleanup an old HP laptop that I had years ago installed a dual boot Windows 7 setup on. While I can get into the secondary Windows 7 system boot, the OS boot up process started freezing up when ever I tried to get into the primary system boot. But even in the secondary boot, when I go into the computer management/drive management, all the options to delete or format any partitions are all grayed out.

In addition to that while trying to figure this out, I somehow ended up creating 3 additional partitions. Even though I never selected that option.

How can I get rid of all the extra partitions and get back to a single Windows 7 boot?
I even finally managed to get into the MS-DOS recovery Manager, but the only drive it will show me in there is Drive x.

Really confused and could use some help.

EDIT: When I try to enable safe mode booting, using msconfig, I get the error, "System Configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration. Boot changes will be reverted. The system cannot find the path specified."

So basically the OS is even preventing me from trying to fix it.

Solution
I suggest you get a Windows 7 installation media and start the Windows setup process.
During Windows setup select "Custom (advanced)" and delete all partitions on the drive.

jojesa

Distinguished
You might be trying to erase partitions created during the Windows setup process or the backup partition created by the laptop manufacturer. They are protected to avoid users deleting them by mistake.

Are you planning to wipe all data on the drive?
Are you installing Windows 7 again?

mike_s

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Ultimately at this point I'm simply trying to get back to a working single bootable Windows 7 setup, so that I can sell the laptop. But right now, it won't even let me boot into safe mode.

As for putting the hard drive into another computer, I don't have that type of special laptop to desktop cable accessory.

In regard to deleting one of the partitions, I'm referring to the partition I created years ago that has the second Windows 7 OS on it. I'm trying to delete that and the extra partitions the computer suddenly made.