Solved! Laptop runs really slow, what possible to spped up PLEASE HELP

bestplayer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
My laptop is an dell inspirion 1100 and i want to know how i can make it go faster as the laptop takes over 10 minates to load an application. I have installed an anti-virus on it and that did speed it up somwwhat , only becaues it found two virsues. Even with the speed up time, it still takes a long time to load and i checked the hardrive and that is not that full at all, so taking that long really ponders me. It it possible to install larger memory on it to speed it up or will that not make a change? PLEASE HELP, i can't stand the slowness anymore!!!!! and thank you for your assitance.

Solution
Download a free copy of malewarebytes and run a full scan. You may have malware/spyware also. Upgrade ram to the max, get a 7200 rpm hdd, and run a registry cleaner. Download disk cleaner..it is free..do a google search(purple funnel icon) and run that alsoDo a defrag last, and also a disc check. to get there, click start...right click My Computer...select tools tab...select disc check...check both boxes...restart computer and disc check should run, will probably take about 1-2 hours, unless you upgrade the ram first, then it may run a little quicker, depending on the hdd size. If you have the knowledge, run msconfig, go to startup tab, and deselect anything that doesn't need to load when booting windows. This will help speed up...
That's an old laptop, looks to be from 2003, will seem slow even with upgrades. First, max the ram on it can check www.crucial.com, buy a new hard-drive, then re-install Windows. Those 3 are the only things you can do with it, but should make a pretty good improvement and would cost under $100. Or you can put that money towards a new or a used modern laptop. you can find a good used one for $200 or a new one for $400 that is much faster than yours in all ways.

Does the laptop seem to work faster when you're not connected to the internet?
How long does it now take to load up the application that used to take 10 min?
What AV program did you load? If two computer virus infections were found you could still have more that weren't found, possibly even a rootkit.

bestplayer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
The laptop itself loads the same as if it is connected to the internet or not. Also, the application that would take 10 mins counts toward any application when oppening. O, and the AV proram is M.S.E

You can download and run CPU-z
Look to see what CPU core speed you have while trying to open your programs.
softwares-cpuz.jpg

harveytoot

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
hey there,
Some more ram would probably speed things up. You also may want to try a defrag from a very powerful third party defragger. Download a free trial of diskeeper home edition from their website to see how fragmented you are, then defrag! I would also recommend getting a can of compressed air and cleaning the whole thing out.

rugman1969

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Download a free copy of malewarebytes and run a full scan. You may have malware/spyware also. Upgrade ram to the max, get a 7200 rpm hdd, and run a registry cleaner. Download disk cleaner..it is free..do a google search(purple funnel icon) and run that alsoDo a defrag last, and also a disc check. to get there, click start...right click My Computer...select tools tab...select disc check...check both boxes...restart computer and disc check should run, will probably take about 1-2 hours, unless you upgrade the ram first, then it may run a little quicker, depending on the hdd size. If you have the knowledge, run msconfig, go to startup tab, and deselect anything that doesn't need to load when booting windows. This will help speed up boot time. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

http://www.diskcleaner.nl/download

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx

Solution