Laptop screen black and white

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk1234

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Hi Everyone

I need some help with my laptop screen. When I turn it on, it only loads in black and white:

http://imgur.com/a/lpXrP

The laptop works perfectly fine when connected to a monitor or my tv. Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks.

Solution
If it is only like that when you try to use the attached display, but works fine on any external device, then I would say either your ribbon cable, that connects the display, is loose and/or damaged. Or the attached display itself is damaged.

If the laptop is under warranty still, then contact the manufacturer about a repair or replacement. If it isn't under warranty, then you or a tech need to open it up and check the ribbon cable and if that is good, replace the display.
If it is only like that when you try to use the attached display, but works fine on any external device, then I would say either your ribbon cable, that connects the display, is loose and/or damaged. Or the attached display itself is damaged.

If the laptop is under warranty still, then contact the manufacturer about a repair or replacement. If it isn't under warranty, then you or a tech need to open it up and check the ribbon cable and if that is good, replace the display.

Solution

sk1234

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Thanks a bunch for the response. The laptop isn't under warranty and it's not worth spending 200+ on repairs so I will probably have to fix this on my own. How can I tell if the cable is damaged or the LCD itself is damaged?

Thanks again.

Check the cable for bends, tears, pinched sections etc. Also any loose connection to the plug parts. Anything not right there can be the problem. It seems more like a connection issue (looking at that picture again) so were it me I would start with replacing the ribbon cable and see if that fixes it, first.

sk1234

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Ok thanks. One last question. What is that black spot near the bottom signify? Is that a sign of LCD screen damage or a loose/damaged cable?

trollslander

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017

Thanks juw087. This fixed the problem for me. The screen had somehow changed to greyscale when I tried to connect to an external monitor.

drasdo

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

Press the Windows logo key + Ctrl + C to toggle the colour filter option

Feb 16, 2018

press ctrl+window key+c

it will resolve issue

Mar 10, 2018

Freaking lifesaver this should be at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.