laptop screen damage level

Ricardo_7

Commendable
Feb 9, 2016
hey eveyone
i have 3 laptop screen i wish to transform into a setup
one of the screens show this common dell screen problem
DSC03378.jpg

i read that this problem "it's a connection issue from the mobo to the display" because connecting an exterior monitor connected to the laptop that holds this screen works fine.
my question is, what is the extent of this problem. is it a problem with the cables from the mobo to the screen? a problem on the mobo itself? a problem with the screen itself (not the cables?)
there's a kit online that allows me to use a laptop screen to connect to a pc via vga and use it as a secondary monitor and the kit comes with a new lvds cable, replacing the original one.
any idea if i can get the screen to work with the new lvds cable and the kit?

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Looks like an old E-series Dell (E1505 or E1705?). Did you notice this problem immediately or was it gradual over time? My E1705 started out gradually with just a few lines and over a period of a few weeks looked a lot like this. If an external monitor works fine, then most likely it is your screen that's dead and needs replacing. You can still find them on eBay, but it's just not worth the money for such old outdated hardware.

In the mid-00s Dell E-series laptop screens, especially the 1920x1200 optioned ones (which I had), were prone to early failure. Mine lasted from April 2006 to June 2011. It should have lasted longer than five years with light to medium use. Anyway, that laptop is not worth putting any more money into being 10 years old. Connect it to an external monitor and enjoy what remains of being supported. I'm running Win7 on mine but it's getting harder and harder to find internal component driver support for it (mine has the GeForce Go 7800 dedicated graphics card).

Ricardo_7

Commendable
Feb 9, 2016
the photo is not of my laptop. i have an inspiron 6000, but the problems are the same as the one in the picture.
each time i turn the laptop on the amount of pollution changes from have only half the screen with the distortion, to full screen.
my idea was to use the screen in conjunction with 2 others and create a 3-display setup with the laptop's motherboard
just for kicks.