Laptop screen fading to white randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyndsey_1

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015
Hi! My laptop screen has been randomly fading to white lately. It doesn't seem to happen at any particular instance but just randomly fades to white. Once I move the screen back and forth the picture will kick back on and it will work fine. What could be the issue?

Solution
connect an external monitor if you have 1 or can borrow to see if that also does it which I don't think so as sounds like video cable from motherboard to screen as you fixed it by moving screen back & forth.

ffg7

Splendid
connect an external monitor if you have 1 or can borrow to see if that also does it which I don't think so as sounds like video cable from motherboard to screen as you fixed it by moving screen back & forth.

Solution

Lyndsey_1

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

It works fine when I connect it to an external monitor.No issues that I can see. Would I just replace the video cable?

ffg7

Splendid
open the laptop up so you can look at the video cable to see if it is worn thru in the hinge area. also try reseat it back into the motherboard just in case it is loose. can be tested while laptop is opened up as long as you are careful as I've done it a few times.

Lyndsey_1

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

I've opened up the laptop and have tried reseating the cable into the screen itself, but I can't seem to see where the cable would be connected to the motherboard? Where is the hinge area as well?

Lyndsey_1

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

Thank you for your help! I'll try it tomorrow and let you know if it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.