Laptop screen flickers during gaming and GPU on high load

Shampit

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
As it says on the title, sometimes, like once per two days when im playing games and GPU overheats (70C) im getting this screen flickerings. If i shutdown the game fast enough flickering stops, otherwise screen might go full black, although the laptop works. I think it might be the GPU overheat causing it but im not sure.

Comp spec:

i5-7200 @ 2.5 GHz
4GB of RAM
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
AMD Radeon R7 M440
Intel HD Graphics 620

Solution
Try reducing the max processor state to 70% and the minimum processor state to 10% this will be a good test to see if temps go down but because of the 70% your CPU will not run at its max rating or turbo but this is good to see if the temps go down then its just a matter of finding a sweet spot between high temps and what max CPU speed you can use.

GKandRiven

Commendable
May 11, 2016
how long have you had it for if its a year or more my guess is the cooling fan has gotten blocked with dust and hair and needs to be cleaned or the thermal paste is not doing its job and needs new good quality paste applied.

GKandRiven

Commendable
May 11, 2016
What is your 'power plan' your using ie is it 'balanced' or 'high performance' (found in control panel as "power options") you could make a custom power plan and tweak the minimum and maximum processor states under "processor power management" so that the temperature doesn't get so high and make sure the "system cooling policy" is set to "active".

Shampit

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
I use AMD PowerPlay which is a 'Gaming Plan' which has both min and max processor states to 100% when the laptop is plugged in. And it uses high performance if the laptop is plugged in. And yes the system cooling policy is set to active.
Also I downloaded Razer Cortex just now to try it for gaming, and noticed it has it's own Power Plan.

About the tweaking, what can I do?

GKandRiven

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Try reducing the max processor state to 70% and the minimum processor state to 10% this will be a good test to see if temps go down but because of the 70% your CPU will not run at its max rating or turbo but this is good to see if the temps go down then its just a matter of finding a sweet spot between high temps and what max CPU speed you can use.

Solution

GKandRiven

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Oh sorry its late but reducing the CPU state might still be worth a try and I would not do the re-thermal past because you should still be in warranty and there might be a overheating problem, google to see if others are having the same problem with your model

Shampit

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
Well, as it seems the GPU Temp went to 60 C down from 70 C, after using Razer Cortex PowerPlan, and the advice from GKandRiven. Let's hope I wont be getting any flickerings. Thanks for the help again.

Cheers!