Laptop screen freezes constantly / screensaver doesn't run

Riff88

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hallo,

I have a Toshiba Laptop, I use Windows-7 32 bit, 2G Ram, Intel Pentium Dual T2310 1.46Ghz

Two weeks ago I updated my Windows 7 with Windows Update. I updated numerous software, about 500mb.

Ever since those updates, my screen freezes constantly, and my screen saver doesn't run.

If I open in SAFE MODE, I get the message "The screensaver can't run because it requires a new video card or one that is compatible with Direct3D"

I've Googled many times for the solution, and it appears that I don't necessarily need a new video card. Yet, I cannot find the solution.

I've come across a post on a forum from a Windows user who had the same problem. He said it was one of the Windows Updates which caused the problem. Unfortunately he didn't say how he fixed his problem.

I have tried to go back to a restore point, which is yesterday's restore point, so that doesn't help me much.

I have updated my graphics drivers, but that didn't help either.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!! THANK YOU!

Riff88

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
THank you, Darkbreeze, I tried and checked every solution on that link, but nothing seems to work. I still get the same error message and my laptop continues to freeze.

Riff88

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Yes, I tried the display driver uninstaller. how can I restore to a point before the updates (I updated about two weeks ago for a couple of days at a time), the only system restore point available on my pc is one from two days ago, which would not be enough.