Laptop Screen Goes Black With Power supply? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seperation

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Since today i've been having issues with my HP pavillion dv6000 series laptop.

The screen goes black after a certain amount of time when my power supply is plugged in. However when its running off the battery it seems not to go black. So i've concluded myself that it may be the power supply but just to confirm with some of the best computer technicians on tomshardware would make me feel alot better or if i could get some information about it.

When the screen goes black if i shine a light at it i can see my desktop or if i plug a external monitor I can see my stuff and use it obviously, any body have a solution to this problem if so please tell immediately! Hope your able to help :D

Tell me if you need any more information about my system i'd be more than glad to post about it.

clmoor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I have a HP8510P. It took me a while but i have definitely traced my problem to the power supply also. The original supply caused the problem less frequently. It has died and I bought a replacement off the web. The problem now occurs much more frequently but only when this supply is attached. I have a different supply I bought for multiple use and when i use it i have no problems at all. Haven't yet figured out the difference. I'm going to set up a trend plotting oscilloscope and see just what's going on. I'm really surprised more people haven't seen this and/or it hasn't been resolved.

ForestEdge

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
I have a Dell XPS 1530 and also started getting black screens - it does NOT happen when running off battery, only when power cord is plugged in. Interestingly, I have accidentally figured out that EVEN with the power cord plugged in, things still work, it is ONLY the screen that blacks out.... and if you close the lid for 3 seconds and reopen it (even with power cord plugged in), your screen is visible again for some seconds to a minute or so before it blacks out again - this may help you back up data (even with the black screen, data copies just fine for hours in the background). It is interesting to me that closing and reopening the lid should "reset" whatever it is that is going wrong with the screen and may hold a clue for us. Anyway, I also replaced my battery with a new one about 5 months ago, so that could also be a clue. My business, income, livelihood relies totally on my laptop and connectivity so if anyone can help us resolve this, it will save me a packet in rushing out to buy another high-end machine for something that my gut tells me is something simple to fix.

BarnabyG

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

I run off an Aspire 5810TG - one of the large-screen lightweight computers that promised up to 8 hours battery life... I got 10 once.

I am currently listening to music on my blank laptop; if I unplug the power the screen shows up, but shortly after I plug it in, it stops.

I have tried external monitors; nothing shows up at all anymore.

I thought it might be a faulty power issue, but the fact that the screen shows up for a few seconds before it blanks suggests that it is not a short circuit.

Another option is that the plugging the power in changes the display settings (perhaps defaulting to an external monitor that isn't there), but using all the short-cuts to change the screen settings doesn't do anything.

I am taking it to be repaired next week; I will report back then, but if anyone has a solution, let me know so I don't fork out the cash for what should be a simple repair.

ouser

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I had same problem & spent days trying dozens of things. Windows obviously worked. I could use Remote Desktop to access it.

SOLUTION: If you have a second computer, use Remote Desktop by choosing 'Run', type 'mstsc', type the name of the computer with a black screen, and connect. After logging in, open 'Control Panel', and choose 'Power Options'. On the left panel choose 'Choose when to turn off the display'. On the row labeled 'Adjust plan brightness', under the 'Plugged in' column, turn up the brightness slider.

randomlaptopdude

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014
Okay, I have found a solution to this problem. I am running off an ASUS laptop, not sure of the model, but it is originally Windows 8. Anyways, I had the same problem. Plugged it in, screen went black; unplugged it, everything worked fine. Here's how I fixed it: I left it unplugged so I could see the screen (obviously) and clicked on start and went to 'Control Panel' and then I clicked on 'Power Settings.' From there, I clicked on 'Choose when to turn off the display' on the left side. Next just click 'Change advanced power settings' at the bottom, and then scroll down to the bottom of that until you see 'Display.' Click on that to drop down the advanced display settings, and then click on 'Display brightness' and you'll see 'On battery' and 'Plugged in' and it should say '0%' next to plugged in, like it did for me. Now simply click on the 0% to edit this and turn it up; finally click 'Apply' then 'Okay.' Now feel free to plug your laptop back in, as it should now be working again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.