Laptop screen won't turn on, external monitor works perfectly

Hawkney

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
So few days ago I was watching youtube on this laptop. Suddenly, the screen blinks and I got a BSoD. After that I tried to restart my laptop, I thought that was a "normal" BSoD that usually appears so I'm not worried. But, when I turned on the laptop, the monitor won't turn on, I tried to use an external monitor and it works, but I always got the same BSoD on startup. I tried to reinstall the driver for the gpu, got no BSoD anymore. But, my laptop screen still won't turn on. Tried to switch the display using Windows Key + P, nothing pops up. I tried to open the "Screen Resolution" from the desktop, and it shows that my external monitor is the default monitor.

Solution
So the video card should be OK, unless you have a dual graphics system with onboard and second card. There are some where the laptop screen is run with the secondary card and the external ports connect to the built-in CPU video.

Is the screen fully black or can you see a faint image on it, maybe with a flashlight you can see something. If totally black, could be dead screen, connection is loose or the card is dead if there are two in the system. If you see a faint image, then could be the inverter or backlight.

Hawkney

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

It's fully black. I don't know whether my card is dead or not, my laptop still detects it, I checked device manager. Do you know where the connection between the monitor and the laptop usually located? I might try to fix it myself.

If you remove they keyboard and bezel you should see the monitor connection. You can also do a web search for your laptop model to find it.

Solution

Michael_715

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017

I got this problem also and have not fixed it yet after a whole year of trying. However I have a work around.
1/ I set my OFF button on my laptop to... "go to sleep when pressed"
2/ Let it fully boot (yes I know, you cant tell because the screen is blank but wait till all sound stops is wat I do)
3/ When you think the desktop has been reached, press your OFF button to put the laptop to sleep. You will probably notice the screen goes to and even darker black than before.
4/ Press the OFF button again to WAKE it up... and you should see all now.

BTW... this happened after a win 10 update and is definitely a windows problem.

Good luck mate... Mike