Solved! Laptop shutdown while gaming (2nd display, lid is closed)

Mar 16, 2020
Hello great gods of toms guide,

im having issues with my laptop shutting down / hibernating when I am playing games

I am playing on a new monitor and changed the setting in the control panel for my laptop to not shut down when the lid is closed.
There is no issue when im doing general uses (internet, work, etc)
It only shuts down when im playing games ( between 1-10 minutes its not consistent)

The exhaust port is also exposed so im sure its not over heating.

While you say you are sure it is not overheating, I would still suggest installing temp monitoring software and check. Just because the vent is open doesn't mean there isn't dust and debris in the device blocking things, a fan not doing what it should or just a part overheating (GPU/CPU).

Install the software and check the temps first.

Mar 16, 2020
ok so i checked the temperature surprisingly its actually lower than the usual temperature,

The previous set up I had was the laptop flat on the table while the monitor is open.
The current set up I have now is its standing vertically due to a laptop stand, so there is no blockage on the exhaust port and there is nothing in contact with the laptop except the air.

(p.s. the differences is only by a few degrees so not sure if that actually made a difference)
(p.s.s. it shuts down only when i play games so it doesnt matter if im playing vanilla minecraft or battlefield 5)
(p.s.s.s. is there a way to make a timestamp of the system as to what is initiating the hibernation process?)

I saw an issue in what you sent involving the modem/router. Hence the suggestion.

Have you checked the settings in "Control Panel"... "Power Options"... "Change plan settings" and then "Change advanced power settings"? Not just one section but all of them in there. Under whichever plan you are using. Other than a hardware problem, or something on the laptop actually causing it (virus, malware, bad program, etc.) that is the only other place I can think of that could effect this.