Laptop Shuts Down at Start of Boot

jimr1354

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
I have a Compaq Presario V5000. It has an AMD Turion 64, WIN 7, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M graphics card, 2gig memory.
I went to use it and here's what happens. I press the on button and it starts to boot up and about 5 seconds you can hear the fan shut down and then nothing. If you get close to it, you can hear something faintly running. I cant turn it off unless I unplug it and take the battery out of it. I have tried a few times and it does the same thing. No beeps, no lights flashing. It worked the last time I used it and now all of a sudden nothing. So what's up?

HyNrgy

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
hello, sorry to hear about your problem.

do you get any display at all, like the Compaq logo at start up?

where you having any problems before this?

can you access boot options or bios before system halts?

can you get into safe mode?

can you start laptop from bootable cd/dvd?

as Sam19 you may have motherboard issues. Do you know if laptop was overheating before?

If are using a windows laptop do you have a windows recovery disc? If so it may be able to help. If you can boot from cd/dvd it could be a hard drive issue but 5 seconds is not much time and if you cannot get to boot options I would agree with Sam19. If you can and do have a bootable cd/dvd you may have to change to cd/dvd (or usb if none there and will have to make a bootable USB drive with windows rcovery on it and go from there.

With a laptop that old, it's not really worth fixing unless you can get a full new laptop of the same mode for under $100 and just swap hard drives.

It MAY be the screen, try to hook up a keyboard/mouse/monitor to it, turn it on, and quickly close the lid. It should try to put the main screen on the external monitor. Otherwise it's most likely a motherboard issue.

Check ebay or other used computer sites for a working replacement if you like, if you can find the exact same model, you can just swap hard drives. Or get a new laptop and stick your current drive in an external case to copy your data off.

Sam19

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
Here are some step for diagnostic to find the real problem., First check with external monitor if it display, If it din't then remove the battery and power on it., if still the same., check with the RTC cell., remove the cell and plug in the charger it should power on itself., if not Suspecting to be mother board., Mostly it would be Motherboard.,

jimr1354

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

jimr1354

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

Ya, I dont know what is wrong. Its extra clean so I know the fan is getting plenty of cool air and its not over heating. You push the on button and it starts but like I said, within 5 seconds it shuts down. In such a short time, the screen has no time to light up and I have no time to enter the bios, no time to do anything. Last time I used it, it was working great!

jimr1354

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

There's no time to do anything other than watch it shut down. I cant turn it off unless I unplug it and take the battery out. If its the motherboard, then its junk. Too bad cause its a nice little computer.

Sam19

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
This happen with most of the old laptop., I face the same issue with the old Lenovo 3000 series too., so it is time the motherboard rest in Peace., (RIP) their time is up., sorry about that.,