Laptop shuts down shortly after unplugged

elocs

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Hello,
I have a new Asus laptop that I've used for a week now like a tower using a cordless keyboard and mouse with an external monitor and the laptop closed.

Now the first time I've unplugged it to use it as a laptop it runs for a minute and then shuts down. The battery is at 95%, but not charging, and it is running perfectly well now while plugged in.

Is this a result of my having changed the settings so the laptop would not go to sleep when I close the lid? Any other ideas?

TIA

elocs

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

It's doing a complete shutdown. I've checked my setting for when unplugged and everything is at least 30 minutes, so it should not be shutting down within a minute when the battery is over 90%.

elocs

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

I thought I had this solved thinking that it was because I had not shut down Windows first before I unplugged the laptop because when I did that I was able to use it on the battery until it ran way down. Then I shut down windows and plugged it back in and the battery recharged back up to 100% again.

When I just got the email about the thread I thought about how I had not tried to use the laptop on battery power since that time (I've been using it like a tower with an external monitor and wireless mouse and keyboard). Unfortunately, what originally happened occurred again with the laptop shutting down within seconds of the desktop appearing.

So I'll scope out the suggestions in the answers and see what happens. Thanks for the help so far, I hope I find the answer.

elocs

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

I am going to have to take the laptop into Best Buy tomorrow because this problem is not resolved even after I thought it had been. Last week I made all of my power settings "never" for when the laptop is either plugged in or running on the battery. I shut it down and unplugged it, restarted and it ran for hours on the battery (5) until I again plugged it in. It then recharged to 100%. So I thought, that's that.

Today I shut down the laptop after having it plugged in since that test. To my surprise it shut down within seconds after I restarted it running on battery. I got logged in and onto my desktop and then within seconds it powered off even though the meter showed the battery at 97%.

So, now for the Best Buy boogaloo.

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
is it just going "dead" shut down, or is windows shutting down properly and "turning off" the laptop?

if it's just going dead there's a physical issue with hardware, if it's a proper shut down of windows and then power off it's a driver issue