Laptop shutting down 5 seconds after turning on laptop

Derek560

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
My samsung laptop randomly shut down during use after seeming fine for the past few hours. After trying to turn it on again, it simply shuts back off after about 5 seconds so I can't do anything. I've tookout the battery and powered it up again but the issue persists. Not sure what to do. Help is appreciated.

Hi,

The problem may lie between the AC adapter or the motherboard itself already. Do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in identifying the issue.
- Start by doing a hard reset, remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try if it will boot up.
- If these will not work test the AC adapter to see if it's supplying enough voltage to power the laptop or if you have another charger that has the same voltage you can use try it and see if it will boot up normally.
- Next to try is to reseat the RAM, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure that they are all seated properly.
- If all these will not work the problem will be with the motherboard of your laptop.

Derek560

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
Thank you for the reply! I've tried every one of the trouble shooting steps and the issue still is occurring. What do I do if the issue is my motherboard

Inachu

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
This can be a stupid answer but a few people are guilty of this for having the same issues as you and it is those people who keep their laptop on their bed.

Covering up the bottom is a very very bad idea and can kill laptops.

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
It does seem like a heat thing aka Thermal junction aka Tj max or shut off like any electrical thing that when it overheats it turns or cuts itself off. If you have a program that shows the temperatures like Speccy or SpeedFan that would at least see if that is the issue, if not temps then check Event Viewer then go to drop dwn Custom Views then the drop dwn Adminstrative Events. If of course you have time, seems like if it dies after 5 min you don't have too much time to check anything really. Never run a laptop on a couch or bed or anything cloth or 'fluffy' it needs to be on a hard surface and if you wanna curl up with it in bed (like most women I know) getta tray or coffee table book and put it on that....you need air circulation. The air vents could be clogged too, blow out the vents with compressed air or if you have a vaccuum cleaner turn it around (if possible) to where it blows rather than suck (kinda like my ex) I have a shop vac that works great for that with a tapered nozzle, instead of buying compressed air cans, one of the biggest rip offs in computing IMHO.

crooked windows

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Check to see if there is any debris jamming a key, Basically just shake your notebook upside down whilst tapping the keys for a while and if possible use compressed air. I have had this problem once. worth a crack.. bios battery dead by any chance?

Erik DeSart

Estimable
Jun 15, 2015

Excuse me if this has been answered. I didn't read the entire thread.

Is it hot? Sounds like overheating.

If you have power remove the battery and run off of line power when using laptops at home. It saves your battery and keeps it from adding to the overall heat of your laptop.