laptop shutting down when gpu under load

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2018
Hello,

I have an Asus f751l, with an i5 5200u and geforce 940m. The laptop was overheating so I opened it up, cleaned the dust, and put new thermal paste on both the cpu and gpu, (I put the arctic silver ceramique 2) and the laptop now shuts down whenever I stress the gpu. I stress tested it with furmark and tried playing games. The temps are normal. the gpu sits around the 30c on idle and when it's under load it doesn't go over 70C for a laptop I think this are ok temps. the cpu sits at 35C on idle and up to 80C when stress tested (according to intel the thermal switchoff is at 105C) At first I thought I didn't apply the paste correctly so I reapplied it but the laptop kept crashing, without overheating it would just shutdown without a warning and it doesn't want to boot up for a few minutes, the gpu doesn't show any signs of dying, no screen tearing no wierd glitches or anything. So first thing I did I disconnected the battery, and run it on the charger, and vice versa, it still crashed. so then I disabled the nvidia gpu in device manager and run stress on the integrated intel graphics, but the laptop still shut down, I already reinstalled the windows updated the bios and everything just to be sure it isn't software related. Now the laptop works yesterday I watched 1080p movies for 5-6h straight with no problems but as soon I started the stress test it shutdown after few minutes. The windows event viewer is no help it just says that the shutdown was unexpected:

UPDATE: after hours and hours of tinkering with settings, and bios, and installing various drivers I just now realised that it's the cpu's fault (kind of) basically the laptop uses the same heat pipe for both gpu and the cpu, the cpu gets heated up when the gpu is stress tested and according to intel extreme tuning utility it's throttling as soon as the gpu starts heating up, it's throttleing 100% of the time usually when it was overheating it would throttle for a second or 2 and that's it. I tried to stress test the cpu for an hour or 2 and it never went above 80C (it didn't throttle) but when I start testing the gpu it almost immediately starts to throttle, the temps don't go over 60-65C before it shuts down. the event viewer gives me this error: The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 4912 seconds since the last report. So it starts throttling as soon as I start the stress test until it shutsdown.
Does anyone know what I can do in this situation?

Solution
How did you apply the thermal paste? And how much did you use?
Did you clean the old thermal paste before reapplying the new thermal paste on both chips?

Overtighten the screws of the heatpipe can have similar effects, would try loosen the screws by an inch and check the temps right after that.

Also check your whole laptop, like running memtest86.org (download the usb autoinstaller and install it to an empty USB flash drive, boot from it)
check the hard drive by its manufacturer´s tool
uninstall all drivers which are not from the ASUS support homepage and install all drivers from the ASUS homepage, not from nvidia or Intel homepage, can sometimes be problematic on laptops

reset BIOS by removing the battery pack and the CMOS...
May 26, 2018

Yes it sits completely flush with both chips, and the fan spins up to 3800rpm

How did you apply the thermal paste? And how much did you use?
Did you clean the old thermal paste before reapplying the new thermal paste on both chips?

Overtighten the screws of the heatpipe can have similar effects, would try loosen the screws by an inch and check the temps right after that.

Also check your whole laptop, like running memtest86.org (download the usb autoinstaller and install it to an empty USB flash drive, boot from it)
check the hard drive by its manufacturer´s tool
uninstall all drivers which are not from the ASUS support homepage and install all drivers from the ASUS homepage, not from nvidia or Intel homepage, can sometimes be problematic on laptops

reset BIOS by removing the battery pack and the CMOS battery, ppress the power on button to remove any power left in the laptop´s hardware
reassemble the batteries and try booting again (eventually you wil have to set the boot priority correctly in BIOS, if it doesn´t boot after this)

run intel processor diagnostics tool

uninstall intel extreme tuning utility
run prime95 version 26.6 with the option smallFFT and check the temperature and the frequency with coretemp

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.