Laptop speakers only produce soft pops instead of sound

Jul 14, 2018
Hey there, new on this forum.

I've just bought a new laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad W520). I wiped the hard drive, and installed an OS on it (64-bit Windows 7 Pro). I started installing drivers on it, and was very successful in getting most of the essential drivers installed. The problem I am having is with the sound driver/speakers of the laptop. After I installed the corresponding drivers (Conexant 20-something HD, can't remember the number at the moment) All the laptop speakers do are soft pops every time sound should be played (E.G Windows startup sound, asterisks etc.). Audio in headphones work flawlessly.

Jul 14, 2018
Sorry, clearly I didn't explain the situation well enough. The laptop is used, no warranty remaining. I bought this from a friend, who said that everything worked before. Also, I have tried re-installing the drivers, installing different drivers, changing the sound format from DVD all the way to the highest studio quality, but nothing seems to work.

Jul 14, 2018
I downloaded the recommended drivers from the lenovo support page. I haven't tried what you suggested, might try that later today.

Jul 14, 2018
I deleted the Conexant 20672 drivers from device manager, along with the driver software. I restarted the laptop, and windows automatically installed it's own Conexant 20672 drivers. Headphones remain functioning, but no sound is still heard from the speakers, only soft pops/clicks. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

So when the headphones are out nothing from the speakers? Hmm.. It may well be the speakers went bad right at that time. It just seems rather odd timing.

Unless there is perhaps a loose connection, the only other options I can think of is they were somehow disabled by something, or they need replacing.

Jul 14, 2018
True. I might look into it a bit deeper, thanks for your help though :)