Laptop still runs sluggish even after clean installation of Win7

AndreiR

Estimable
May 18, 2015
Hello, I've been having some problems with my laptop: it was running too slow for it's hardware specs, Win7 starting with difficulties(after signing in on my Win7 user it would lead to a black screen and after a phew seconds it would load my Desktop), FPS drops in video games that were quite old( 2007- 2012); so I decided to install a fresh new copy of Win7, format all my drives and start fresh. Prior to this, I had it opened and cleaned of dust.
Currently my laptop still runs sluggish, not as bad as before dusting and a clean install, but it freezes from time to time, Chrome stops working, games freeze even if they shouldn't challenge my laptop, and other performance difficulties. I scanned for virus and malware with Avast Free Edition and Malwarebytes. It stands of a coolerpad(1 central vent) and I use Ccleaner to clean my registry and prevent programs from starting with my Windows unless they really need to.
What can I do to get my laptop running properly again?

Laptop Specifications(Asus Aspire V3-571G):
CPU: 2.2GHz Intel Core i7-3632QM Processor
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 730M 4GB VRAM & Intel HD Graphics 4000
RAM: 8GB
Hard Drive: SATA Hard Drive

Solution
Pass it on to everybody you know with this problem. I just found the answer last night. Go into your browser(s) and DISABLE JAVA. That will change everything and Windows 7 speedup will amaze you. There will be no more hang-ups or slowdowns when your computer is idle and you start up again. It is amazing! I couldn't believe the difference.

NOTE: JAVA is different than Javascript. The average person, does not need JAVA on his/her hard drives at all. Try it, then thank me.

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
You mean ACER? or ASUS?
That aside, try to pinpoint the source of the problem.
Usually you would start off with trying out different version of drivers for your GPU, I personally find 335.32 version to be the most stable driver for tests
Use software to monitor your idle temps and the stressed temps
Check if there is a BIOS update you can apply, before doing so ask in acer forum if its actually safe to do it on your laptop, download the bios ONLY from the manufacturer site and follow their experts` instruction on how to update it safely
Try to notice if your HDD is heating up or making a weird repeating noise
Also look into the Performance event log for errors

AndreiR

Estimable
May 18, 2015
It's an Acer Aspire :D , sorry for the confusion created.
Well I made 3 tests while monitoring temperatures, clocks and overall performance. These were the results, software used in each reading is written in ( ).

Idle Process Test
CPU(HW Monitor)
Cores(# 0->3) Temp: Min: 42 C Max: 59 C Curent: 41-46 C
Clocks(#0->3): Min: 1196MHz Max: 3196MHz Current: 1198, 3195, 2895(the core reaches only these 3 values at a time, independetly)

HDD: Min30 C Max: 32 C Current: 32 C

GPU(MSI Afterburner)
Temp: Min: 43 C Max: 44 C Current: 44(slowly rising to 46) C
Clock: 405 MHz
Memory Clock: 900MHz

Task Manager Readings:

CPU Usage: 0% on all 4 cores(97% Maximum Frequency)
Memory Usage: 1.71 GB (20% Used Memory)

*After readings were taken:

CPU Temp: Min 35 C, Max 73 C, Current: 57-64 C

Test #1
Viewing a 1080p 60FPS Browser Video
Browser: Google Chrome(Latest Edition as of 21st May 2015 )

CPU: Min 52 C, Max 62 C, Current: C0: 61 C, C1->3: 53->58 C
Clocks Unchanged

GPU:
Temp: ~46 C
Clock: 405 MHz
Memory Clock: 405 MHz

HDD: Min,Max,Current: 38 C

Test #2
Maxed Graphical Options Game: Dota2

CPU: Min 83 C, Max 96 C, Current: C0: 86 C, C1->3: 75-78 C
Clocks Unchanged

GPU:
Temp: 78 C
Clock: 730 MHz
Memory Clock: 900 MHz

HDD: Min,Max,Current: 42 C

As for BIOS upgrades, the Acer official sites has none for Win7, the first version of BIOS being also the latest.
No, the HDD is silent, as seen in the temp readings it's still in a ok range of temperatures( or so I believe).
No errors were found.

AndreiR

Estimable
May 18, 2015
Firstly I apologise for being so late on answering.
Secondly, I'd like to know where can I find older versions of my drivers, as the official sites either confuse me or just don't display older versions for my configuration. As for tasks, Ttask Manager hasn't found anything out of the ordinary, mostly tasks from the System or software like anti-virus, CCleaner, etc. No unrecognizable tasks running in the background.
My laptop is getting worse tho, it's running slower, bottlenecking and now my Local Area Connection requires random restarts as the PPOE fails to identinfy the WAN miniport. Checked with the ISP provider, it's a problem on my end.
One odd thing I may add is that, if I put it in Sleep Mode for the night and try to use it, in the morning, for a high demand task, it's very sluggish but if I take out the power source and plug it back in, it runs normaly(normal as in normaly slow). The perfomance is getting quite alarming..

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
acer always had poor "sleep/hibernate". My 1st Acer laptop didnt start the fan after waking and my second just takes more time to wake than if i restart it. http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers fill in your model and it should list you the recommended drivers. I see they are mostly from 2012
Imo i just noticed under gaming your temps get pretty close to the limit. (Sorry for not noticing it early)
Get it cleaned up and change the thermal paste. If still get 80+ degrees see for a heat sink replacement
Also try to do a full system cleanup
Note: just checked your CPU and its limit is 105 C
Again sorry for not noticing that early :/

AndreiR

Estimable
May 18, 2015
I will have the paste replaced as soon as I can, and I will return with a reply. Thank you so far and don't worry about it, I'm glad we getting somewhere, gaming and now even simple task are becoming a fustrating nightmare. :D.

AndreiR

Estimable
May 18, 2015
The pasted has been replaced on Saturday and now I must wait 200h for it to reach the break point.
The pasted used is Arctic Silver 5.
So far the temps changes aren't that great, they still stay quite the same, I will come with an status update when the paste will reach its break point. Thank you for all the help so far :D

clarowl

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015
Pass it on to everybody you know with this problem. I just found the answer last night. Go into your browser(s) and DISABLE JAVA. That will change everything and Windows 7 speedup will amaze you. There will be no more hang-ups or slowdowns when your computer is idle and you start up again. It is amazing! I couldn't believe the difference.

NOTE: JAVA is different than Javascript. The average person, does not need JAVA on his/her hard drives at all. Try it, then thank me.

Solution

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
Hmmm im now curious if you had Google Chrome running as background process as it would make little sense for java to cause problems when you are not actively using it
Marking your answer as a solution as it fixed your problem

clarowl

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015

I have been using Mozilla's Firefox and disabled JAVA in it. I had the same problem with IE and Chrome but do not have them currently installed on this HD. I haven't had a single problem since I disabled JAVA in Firefox.

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
hmmm good to know... i was planning to migrate fully from Chrome to FF after Google completely disable NPAPI (i need java for my cams) but hearing it slows down the PC... i will reconcider that and probably will wait for Spartan

AndreiR

Estimable
May 18, 2015

I do not have Java installed for any of my browsers...(Chrome & IE9)
As a performance update: A veeeery slight improvement but still not enough to even say it's on the right track, also had a Ethernet driver crash and had to be reinstalled as it was slowing my internet connection to a crawl(1-2 MB/s out of 100 MB/s). Am I thinking about doing another fresh install and installing the 2012 drivers and slowly moving from there, but if any body has a better idea, would be glad to hear it.

Also, could you take down the "SOLVED" sticker? Maybe there is somebody who has a solution and might be put off by the Solved mark.

AndreiR

Estimable
May 18, 2015
The thermal paste has reached it's break point.
Performance wise, I don't see much to be honest. Laptop still freeze under heavy task such as gaming, editing, multi-tasking and even basics task as: Turn the internet on, click on the volume icon..
Temperatures are a bit lower, but still. The problem doesn't seem to be fixed :/