Laptop to replace my 6ish year old gaming desktop. $1150 max (Canadian)

lxiooixl

Estimable
Aug 21, 2015
Hello,

I've recently opened two separate threads in these forums:
Laptop http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2773063/laptop-w...
and
Graphics Card http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2773616/gtx-470-...

Quick summary;
I was looking to buy a new laptop for max $900 Canadian. A couple days later, my graphics card of my desktop died (gtx 470), so I asked the community for a good replacement and was thinking of spending max $250 on a new graphics card.

Now I was thinking, would it be feasible to just add the $250 to the laptop budget and completely replace my current desktop rig (6 years old) with a laptop that would deliver at least the same gaming experience.

So my question is, would I get a laptop for max $1150 (Canadian and after tax) that would be at least same powerful for gaming as my current rig was?
My current desktop config:
CPU
Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz 36 °C
Lynnfield 45nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (7-7-7-20)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55D-E (LGA1156) 35 °C

Graphics
GTX 470 Twin Frozr II
1280MB 320-Bit GDDR5
Core Clock 607MHz
2 x DVI 1 x mini HDMI
448 CUDA Cores
PCI Express 2.0 x16

Thanks a lot!

***EDIT***
The screen size is not important as it will be hooked up to external monitors anyways.

lxiooixl

Estimable
Aug 21, 2015

The reason I was thinking about spending a bit more on a laptop is because I will need to get a laptop anyways for work mobility. So I thought spending an additional $250-$300 on a laptop might be better (mobility and gaming in one) than buying a cheap laptop and a new graphics card.

The main problem with laptops is that they break much more easily than desktops as the components are tightly sealed. This means if something goes wrong, then you are forced to get it repaired by the manufacturer which means that you need a long warranty extension. Also portable gaming laptops are not recommended as they will make a lot of noise and heat. This damages the battery much quicker as it can't handle the heat which diminishes the point of having something portable. This only applies if you plan on playing the latest games at high settings. The affect is reduced when you play less demanding games.