laptop to run 2560 x 1440 display?

Caroline_16

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
My eyes may have been bigger than my stomach, metaphorically speaking :ouch: Help!

I have a 2-year-old Asus X550CA that I mostly use on my desk with an external monitor. Not a gamer, not particularly techy, but I do like a crisp image, I often watch videos, and I tend to have multiple windows open (browsers, Word, Excel, etc.). And I work over a VPN on a regular basis.

This month I decided I wanted a larger monitor, particularly to get closer to my dual-monitor office environment when I'm on the VPN, so I jumped in and got a lovely 32" display...only it wants 2560 x 1440, and the GPU in the Asus can only do 1920 x 1200. phooey. (It runs its own display at 1366 x 768.)

So my question is, as I go looking for a new laptop that can give the monitor what it needs...what "native resolution" do I need to be looking for? If the laptop's display is 1920 x 1080, will it be able to run the 2560 x 1440 on the external monitor? Or do I need a GPU whose specs actually say 2560 x 1440 or greater?

Thanks! this is a little confusing to me...

Solution

Hello, Caroline:

Umm, well, you still need to check the CPU and/or GPU - that's where it all begins. The reason I mentioned the Intel CPU is that your Asus doesn't have a separate GPU, e.g. Nvidia or AMD. It uses its Intel CPU which contains a graphics accelerator that will support 3K if a display port is available. Unfortunately, the manufacturer, Asus, didn't fit a display port to your machine.

What...

Greetings, Caroline:

a) Your laptop uses an Intel HD 4000 graphics accelerator that does support 2560 x 1440 but only through a display port which your Asus doesn't have.
b) So, you should look for a laptop (any laptop) that has a display port.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Caroline_16

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
GreyCatz, wow! Is it that simple? I've been digging through Intel support pages trying to figure out what resolution the HD 4000 would support, and I guess I just don't know how to read those things. Oy.

OK. So are you saying any laptop with a display port would do it, by definition? That would give me something to go on. Thanks!

Caroline_16

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
And now here's another question. Looking through the related posts below, I got directed to this page: http://www.notebookcheck.net/2560x1440-or-2560x1600-via-HDMI.92840.0.html.

It has instructions for adding a custom resolution to the display resolution options, which I did...and now I have the lovely crisp screen I was looking for! However, before I added the custom settings, I got this warning:

Altering resolutions may 1. Reduce system stability and useful life of the system and chipset; 2. Cause the chipset and other components to fail; 3. Reduce system performance; 4. Cause additional heat or other damage; 5. Affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested and does not warranty yada yada yada.

So am I putting my entire system at risk doing this? Obviously if it's this easy I'd rather not have to go out and get another laptop, but just as obviously, I don't want to kill the one I have prematurely!

Caroline_16

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016

Thanks, I'm also confused :(

Oliver_21

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

Why wasting money on a laptop?

If you don't requiere portability get a basic destop PC most PCs support up to 4K resolution even with the integrated graphics

Caroline_16

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016

Yes, that's definitely also an option. I'm just used to having some mobility, but I could keep the laptop for that and get a desktop for the desk. thanks!

Hello, Caroline:

Umm, well, you still need to check the CPU and/or GPU - that's where it all begins. The reason I mentioned the Intel CPU is that your Asus doesn't have a separate GPU, e.g. Nvidia or AMD. It uses its Intel CPU which contains a graphics accelerator that will support 3K if a display port is available. Unfortunately, the manufacturer, Asus, didn't fit a display port to your machine.

What I mean is: If you buy a laptop today that has a display port, it's a pretty safe bet that the CPU will support these higher resolutions (3K and 4K) - otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to fit it with a DP in the first place. But do spend a few minutes on the spec sheets.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution

Hello, Caroline:

That was a great link - but even if it's clearly an easier (and less expensive) solution I must say that:
a) You'll be making adjustments to features and hardware that may require expert assistance if they fail.
b) I'm not enough of an electronics expert to recommend it - you can try it, and if it works: Great! If not, I can't even predict the full extent of potential damage.

I don't mean to scare you needlessly - it may turn out to be just the solution you're looking for.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Caroline_16

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016

Thanks -- of course, that makes sense.

Caroline_16

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016

Thanks! I know I'm off in uncharted territory here, but I do appreciate your response. I'll talk to the systems guys tomorrow at work and see if any of them have any experience with it.

For the moment, it seems to be working great...but I'm hesitant to leave it set there just in case it's causing problems already. The laptop certainly doesn't seem to be any warmer than usual, so that's a good sign, anyway...

Caroline_16

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016

Thanks! I know I'm off in uncharted territory here, but I do appreciate your response. I'll talk to the systems guys tomorrow at work and see if any of them have any experience with it.

For the moment, it seems to be working great...but I'm hesitant to leave it set there just in case it's causing problems already. The laptop certainly doesn't seem to be any warmer than usual, so that's a good sign, anyway...