Laptop To Stereo 5.1 Surround Not Working

Jared Reid

Estimable
Jan 16, 2015
I am having a problem with my denon 5.1 reciever. When ever I try to play music from itunes, Youtube or any other source the sound doesnt come out in the rear speakers. The audio is ran HDMI from the laptop to the reciever. I can go to control panel and test the speakers and all of the speakers work but not in any other application. My desktop PC can play audio from itunes and other sources in 5.1 surround just fine, the only difference is that the audio is ran RCA from the dektop to the receiver. Movies from my bluray player play fine in 5.1 surround through HDMI.

Solution
Unless the audio is encoded in 5.1, you won't be getting 5.1. Most audio is 2 channel using the front right and left speakers. If you buy a DVD audio or superaudio cd then you can get true 5.1. If you want the sound to come from the rear speakers, you'll have to tinker with some of the settings in your receiver.

schwatzz

Estimable
Jun 23, 2014
Unless the audio is encoded in 5.1, you won't be getting 5.1. Most audio is 2 channel using the front right and left speakers. If you buy a DVD audio or superaudio cd then you can get true 5.1. If you want the sound to come from the rear speakers, you'll have to tinker with some of the settings in your receiver.

Solution