Solved! Laptop to TV Lag

Prometheus91

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Hello,
I'm trying to set up laptop up with my Samsung Series 6 television, and everything is working fine, except the lag is horrible!

When I try to play movies(the only reason I have my laptop attached to the tv), the framerate is just horrific! It runs fine on just the laptop, so I'm thinking there is something wrong with the cables I'm using.

I've tried both VGA and HDMI/DVI and both have the same lagging problems.

I've tried setting the TV to Game Mode but it doesn't make a difference.

Solution
If you have the TV set at 120Hz (or 240Hz) refresh for motion blur reduction, that will cause some significant lag since the TV processor now has to interpolate 2x or 4x between input frames. If you have the lappy connected to a particular HDMI input, see if you can turn off the motion blur reduction (or whatever Samsung calls it - probably some spiffy marketing name :p) for that particular input. That way you get to keep the blur-reduction benefits if you have an action or sports movie on another input or from cable, and also avoid lag on your gaming lappy.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
If you have the TV set at 120Hz (or 240Hz) refresh for motion blur reduction, that will cause some significant lag since the TV processor now has to interpolate 2x or 4x between input frames. If you have the lappy connected to a particular HDMI input, see if you can turn off the motion blur reduction (or whatever Samsung calls it - probably some spiffy marketing name :p) for that particular input. That way you get to keep the blur-reduction benefits if you have an action or sports movie on another input or from cable, and also avoid lag on your gaming lappy.

Solution