laptop to tv problem

Ken boy

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
I have a toshiba satellite series laptop and when hooking a vga cable I get good video but no audio.I tried the RCA cable to the headset plug and still get no audio. What can I do to fix this? My tv is a samsung plasma about 8 years old now.. any help would be appreciated thanks...

Ken

If you connect headphones to the laptop do you get sound?
If not then the problem is in the laptop. Check that it is selected in the audio device control panel. It may just turn off the laptop speakers when you connect headphones so you won't find anything there. In that case there is a hardware problem with the laptop.
If the headphones do work check that the cable is connected to the right audio input on the TV. On some TVs that audio input is shared with another video input and has to be assigned to the VGA video input.
The cable itself might be bad.
Try connecting your phone (or any other audio source) to the TV to check the input on the TV.

Ken boy

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
Yes the sound on the laptop works on headphones. I actually tried 2 different laptops on this problem and got the same results, no sound. I have a dvd player hooked to the tv an the sound works fine off of it.
I am not sure how to find the place to assign the audio input to the vga line in...

Ok we found a solution if only temporary using the speakers off of my tower, We have sound that is at least better than the laptop speakers/headset. I will still search for a better solution and appreciate the help I have gotten so far. Thank you...