laptop to tv via HDMI, screen freezes every 5-10 secs

Dec 6, 2018
When my laptop is connected via HDMI to my TV, and only while streaming over netflix, the video feed on the TV keeps freezing every few seconds (somewhat irregularly, for just a second or two).

When watching YouTube or streaming over other sources, there is not problem at all.

The stream on the laptop display is fine. And the sound (which is output over USB to a DAC then Amp the Stereo) keeps on playing just fine as well.

My laptop has a 7th gen. Intel i7, Nvidia gtx 1060, 16 gigs of RAM, a 256 gig m.2 ssd, a 1080p panel, and it runs on windows 10. Bought in Dec. 2017.

Task manager shows, that the system is under minimal load.

The TV I connect to also has 1080p panel. Bought in 2015.

I have tried to troubleshoot with the help of a couple previous threads.

I have updated windows, chrome and all drivers on the PC. For the drivers I even made sure that I have the most recent releases. For the graphics driver, windows auto update didn't want to update it to the newest release, so I used geforce experience to get the latest drivers.

Logged out and back into netflix.

I have attempted to duplicate or mirror the display.
I'm not sure what other video setting I should look out for, but the gtx is set to be used as default, and the resolution is 1920x1080, as it should be. I have also tried to use the integrated graphics, but it didn't make a difference.

I have changed the HDMI cable, trying 6 different cables. (I assume the cables and the ports are all 1.4 or higher)
I have also tried using all the HDMI ports on the TV.
The laptop has only one HDMI output.
(If it's the output port on the laptop, I do t understand why o l netflix has a problem with it)

I have restarted my home network, meaning modem and router.
My internet connection is over wifi, but I have checked the speed, and I have a latency of 9ms, and a bit over 200 m/bit down and 20 m/bit up.

The problem still persists.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give as much information as possible.

I hope the community can help me resolve my problem.

Thank you in advance,
Kind regards

Mar 8, 2019
I had the same problem. After a lot of searching, I found the solution. You need to install the Netflix app from the Windows store and it will work like a charm!