Solved! Laptop turns off automatically within a minutes

Nov 5, 2020
The computer is a DELL inspiron 15 7000 series gaming laptop

The issue is that every time I turn it on the laptop turns off automatically within 1 minute.
Some times it turns off as soon as the keyboard black light turns on. Some times it turns off when the windows logo appear. Some times it lasts long enough for me to log in, but then it shuts down in a few seconds . It also shuts down when I am in bios or running dell system assessment.

There are no warnings no beeps.

Also I cannot run any hardware diagnostics or dell system assessment because the laptop shuts down before they are completed.

Any insight regarding this issue will be highly appreciated

Solution

The issue is that every time I turn it on the laptop turns off automatically within 1 minute.
Some times it turns off as soon as the keyboard black light turns on. Some times it turns off when the windows logo appear. Some times it lasts long enough for me to log in, but then it shuts down in a few seconds . It also shuts down when I am in bios or running dell system assessment.

Also I cannot run any hardware diagnostics or dell system assessment because the laptop shuts down before they are completed.

It's clearly NOT an overheating situation, as it shuts down too fast for...
Can you get into the BIOS and stay there for a few minutes?

You can try an external diagnostic (such as a RAM test) by making a bootable USB. See if you can run that. Don't forget to turn off secure boot in the BIOS and set the USB stick to highest boot priority (or select that if your machine has a boot menu you can activate).

Nov 5, 2020
Can you get into the BIOS and stay there for a few minutes?

You can try an external diagnostic (such as a RAM test) by making a bootable USB. See if you can run that. Don't forget to turn off secure boot in the BIOS and set the USB stick to highest boot priority (or select that if your machine has a boot menu you can activate).

It also shuts down while I am in BIOS after a couple of minutes.

I made a bootable USB, formatted my C drive and reinstalled windows. This time the machine worked for like 10 minutes. I only had time to install Chrome and then it shut down. Now its back to where it shuts down in 1 minute.

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020

It's clearly NOT an overheating situation, as it shuts down too fast for heat to be an issue.
Have you tried pulling the battery and run only off the Power Supply? Try that.
If the battery is drawing too much current, it may be causing a self protection-(overcurrent) situation.
Do you know the condition of the battery? Do you have any reason to believe it may be bad? Old age, warm to hot power supply.
The Power supply however would not have time to get hot now, as it is shutting down too fast. Again, possible overcurrent.
See what you can find on the battery, if you have a voltmeter, measure both the power suppy output, (unplugged from the computer)
And the battery, check all pin combinations if you don't know the designations, if the battery is sucking to much current, the voltage will be below it's rating.
Then write back with info. Also, see if the fan is spinning on the computer, it may auto-shut down if no RPM's.
Did this start very suddenly, or has it been shutting down previously, but with more time on before it does?

P.S. There might be an issue with the black-lights you installed where the backlights should be. ; )

Last edited:
Solution
It could be a heat issue. You could have a defective component that is heat sensitive. These can quickly cause problems (within a minute). I've seen that a lot in other kinds of electronics. There is an easy way to tell. Note the time to shutdown when starting from room temp and having the machine off for a while. Restart immediately again and see if it shuts down more quickly. You can also put it in the refrigerator for an hour and test again. If a cold machine runs longer than a room temp machine it is likely a temp problem. The fact that it dies sitting in the BIOS pretty much lets any disk or processor problems off the hook.